RCCL Perfect Day - using walker

rkak

Going to COCO Cay Perfect Day in Sept.  My husband can barely walk and I can only walk a little with out my walker. The pier looks very long.  Are there transport chairs from the ship to the Is?  To the attractions?  I want to do the Hot Air balloon, Up, Up and Away.  Can I get there with some sort of transport?  And bsck.  Has anyone done this?

On 6/1/2019 at 1:25 PM, rkak said:

Going to COCO Cay Perfect Day in Sept.  My husband can barely walk and I can only walk a little with out my walker. The pier looks very long.  Are there transport chairs from the ship to the Is?  To the attractions?  I want to do the Hot Air balloon, Up, Up and Away.  Can I get there with some sort of transport?  And bsck.  Has anyone done this?

I haven't been to Perfect Day at CocoCay yet, but been reading a lot and watching people's videos.  From what I have seen it appears that there is a paved walkway that goes around the entire natural lagoon area.  That would be important for getting to the Hot Air Balloon area.  The walk does look a little long from the pier, but they do have a shuttle that does run up and down the pier to take the folks who can't walk that far.  There is also a shuttle that will go around the water park area and bring you close to the balloon area and Oasis Lagoon Pool.  

Here's where things get a little more choppy.  Once you leave the central path it appears to be mostly sand until you get to the next attraction area.  There doesn't seen to be a paved path from the central loop to the attractions, but right around the attractions there are paved areas.  So, it appears you would need to use one of the provided beach wheelchairs to get from the path to the attraction if you are using a walker, it would likely get a little bogged down in the sand and if you husband has mobility issues as well, then the next question is do you have anyone traveling with you that could push the beach wheelchairs?  

I am really interested to hear people's opinion who have actually been to the island.  It really seems like they should have some accessible paths to the big attractions.  I know that they can't do that for the beach itself, but it's all paved around the slides, the Oasis Lagoon and the Kids splash zone.  

I hope you're able to get more info and have a great time.  I'm going next year in April so guess we'll see if they make any additional changes, apart from adding the South Beach stuff.

Alan

perfect-day-map.jpg

Edited by BigAl_7
Added image of map

thanks for your reply.  We were able to get around Labedee and I hope they make all of Perfect Day accessible too.  If not, we'll just stay on the ship as we do in most ports.

I am interested in this, too.  We will be at Coco Cay in September.  On our last cruise, by the time I walked down the long pier and walked around the port area then walked back to the ship, I was totally done.  After a couple of port days and of course walking around the ship I was basically crippled.  On our next cruise, I was planning on renting a wheelchair for the first time.  From what I've heard the tram from the ship to the island doesn't run very frequently and gets crowded.  I should be able to walk on the sand area as long as haven't had to do all of the other walking.  For those that have been to Coco Cay, would it be feasible to use the wheelchair to lessen my walking, but still walk the sand areas while pushing my wheelchair?  Using a wheelchair on the cruise will be all new to me.  Thanks.