Document problems? Solution or others with same?

wgeddings

We are scheduled to go on the Enchantment of the Seas on Feb 9 (along with 3 other families). This is our first time on RCCL but we have used Carnival, Disney and HAL before. Normally we get the documents (tickets and such) about 6 weeks ahead. When they did not arrive, I kept checking with my travel agent (TA). The TA just found out that the documents were apparently lost so she got RCCL to send replacements and only just received them. Others on our roll call have said they do not have their documents yet and it is only 2 weeks away. I cannot believe is normal for RCCL.

I am glad that we got our documents finally (though I have not seen them so hope there are no problems with them). I am worried about the others on our cruise who still have not gotten the docs. Is there someone I can contact about this? I do not believe it is my TA's fault and obviously it must be something not just unigue to our booking. This should not be allowed to go unmentioned because new cruisers or those unfamiliar may not know to start checking on their docs and, by the time they realize there might be a problem, they will not have time to get replacements.

I am rather aggravated about this and it is certainly not starting my relationship with RCCL on a good note. I want to talk to someone there and see if anyone cares.

Sounds like the TA may have paid the bookings late so the docs are late. Docs are issued by the cruiseline 30 days from sailing. The TA should have checked on where they where earlier than then they did. Either the TA paid late and that is why they are late or they could have gotten lost. We have received docs for other agencies in our area even though the other agencies address is on them. Either way the TA should have checked on Docs before this.

My DH and I will be travelling w/ you on the Enchantment 2/9. Our TA had our docs several weeks ago, I rpicked them up last week. There is really not a lot of info in them other than the luggage tags and excursions. I do know that it always feels good to have them "in hand." As long as you have your Res # from RCCL you can check in on line.

I have, however, read other posts referencing a new booking system that is causing some glitches and confusion. I do find it strange that just two weeks ago when checking on cabins for friends, there were many many available. W/in days all but two categories were N/A....I guess it is possible.

Don't be frustrated w/ RCCL just yet. Hopefully your lost docs are the only negative comment you will have. Looking forward to seeing you two weeks from tomorrow. Now that sounds NICE.

Thanks. Just to further clarify, my TA did follow up and now has the documents (got them late yesterday and is bringing by to me today). She was working on it but did not want to mention it in order to keep me from getting worried. Nice sentiment but I like knowing. Since it was not just us, and was someone else using a different TA, I think it may be more of a RCCL problem. I just wanted to know how widespread or often it might be. I'll try to keep an open mind.

Jerseygirlcruiser, look forward to seeing you. Be sure to stop by the roll call threads (2 got started so we try to keep both up to date).

Thanks. Just to further clarify, my TA did follow up and now has the documents (got them late yesterday and is bringing by to me today). She was working on it but did not want to mention it in order to keep me from getting worried. Nice sentiment but I like knowing. Since it was not just us, and was someone else using a different TA, I think it may be more of a RCCL problem. I just wanted to know how widespread or often it might be. I'll try to keep an open mind.

Jerseygirlcruiser, look forward to seeing you. Be sure to stop by the roll call threads (2 got started so we try to keep both up to date).

This experience wont even be a bip on the radar of your cruise vacation memory!! Promise!

There could be any number of reasons, including the original documents actually getting lost in transit. Fortunately, your documents have arrived and your TA should already have gone through them to make sure that there are no errors. If you and the other members of your group have printed out their SetSail Passes online, that is actually all that they will need when they check in at the pier, so I wouldn't be too concerned about the others.

Docs get lost or go missing all the time. Millions of people cruise, this is a common problem. The bottom line is, you don't need the docs to board the ship. Missing docs adds about two minutes to the boarding process. The extra time is for the cruise line to look you up and for you to fill out the luggage tags for your luggage. Once that is done, you be in the same boat (literally) as those that did receive their docs. I would not worry about it.

In my experience, its not uncommon to get documents as little as 2 weeks prior to the cruise.

I do part time (VERY part time...more like a hobby really) TA work out of my home and I have a group of 15 cabins going on the Monarch on Feb 17 (I'm not only the TA, I'm also a passenger on that sailing). So far, the agency office has only received half of the documents. Now wouldn't you think that all 15 would come at once? To top it off, my agency's main office only fed-ex's documents to the 2nd office (that I work with) on Wed and Fridays so I have to wait until Friday to find out if the other docs have arrived.

BTW...I tell my clients that it might be as late as 2 weeks prior to the cruise before they get their documents. That way they don't worry...like the original poster.

I agree that it's not uncommon at all to get the docs a couple of weeks prior to sailing. Especially if they include air. Cruise only docs tend to come a lot sooner.

I've received docs as late as a week prior and that being after several phone calls and no explanation. It can happen on all cruiselines. The idea that the TA must have paid late is just not valid. If they paid late enough to make the docs late I believe your booking would have cancelled.

Ditto the statements that they aren't really necessary but are nice to have.

If the docs don't come, will the cruiseline let you get them at the pier?

Yes, but you can print them online at RCI. All you need is the booking number, fill out the forms, print, sign both places on them, and you're good to go. When you get to the pier, they will ask for ID, and your credit card. Simple really. Luggage tags are available curbside, from the porters.

Archived