Juneau - Treadwell Mine Historic Walking tour

wgeo

Wondering if anyone has walked through this tour before?  We have a very long port day and I'm just looking for a few extra things to do as filler.  Has anyone done this?  Was it a decent walk and do you recall how long it took you?

TREADWELL MINE HISTORIC TRAIL - http://www.alaska.org/assets/content/related_items_pdfs/Juneau-Walking-Tour.pdf

• Like 1

We took public transit to Douglas and did the walking tour.  I'm sorry I can't remember how long it took.  We spent some time on the beach, and some time on the walking tour.  We were there for probably around 3 hours total.

IMHO it is worth visiting.

• Like 2

This had been on our bucket list for a few years and we were never able to fit it in until last year. We rented a car and drove to the trailhead, parked in the beach parking lot there and followed the well marked path. It was fascinating and definitely worth the time we went all the way to the end and then walked back via the beach. It was a pretty long hike, but very easy. We spent about a little over 2 hours in all. I could have stayed even longer and just enjoyed the beach, but we needed to get back to town. It is something most cruise passengers don't even know about so it is away from the crowds, not overrun by tourists and gives you a glimpse into some fascinating history of the area. I would highly encourage you to do it - we were glad we finally did!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, VennDiagram said:

We took public transit to Douglas and did the walking tour.  I'm sorry I can't remember how long it took.  We spent some time on the beach, and some time on the walking tour.  We were there for probably around 3 hours total.

IMHO it is worth visiting.

Thank you - gonna keep it on the list since we're in port so long - looks interesting.

37 minutes ago, Eileen G said:

We did it five years ago when we had a rental  car and really enjoyed it. Some of the ruins had an Indiana Jones feel about them. We were probably there about an hour and a half.

Thank you, we will have a rental car too, this may be a good addition to the day.

20 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

This had been on our bucket list for a few years and we were never able to fit it in until last year. We rented a car and drove to the trailhead, parked in the beach parking lot there and followed the well marked path. It was fascinating and definitely worth the time we went all the way to the end and then walked back via the beach. It was a pretty long hike, but very easy. We spent about a little over 2 hours in all. I could have stayed even longer and just enjoyed the beach, but we needed to get back to town. It is something most cruise passengers don't even know about so it is away from the crowds, not overrun by tourists and gives you a glimpse into some fascinating history of the area. I would highly encourage you to do it - we were glad we finally did!

Thanks for replying - this is looking better and better.