Encore Bermuda vs Breakaway Western Caribbean

Sup_Devil

Hi all, 

So I'm hoping to get some feedback from the experienced cruisers. We sailed on the Epic last spring break for 4 nights and had a great time overall. We are a family of 4, 2 boys that will be 13 and 9 next summer when we are looking to take our second cruise. 

We have cruisenext certificates to use and we live in FL. Unfortunately, ncl doesn't sail out of the Florida ports really over the summer. There are some early summer dates in May out of Miami which is a pretty long drive.(Breakaway). Then I noticed that there was a promotion for the Encore sailing out of NYC that included the 3rd and 4th guests free plus free/reduced airfare. 

After quoting both out it looks very close to the same price. I'm curious what would be a better option. I know the kids really want to do the go karts etc. They had a blast on the Epic slides and other activities. We'd have to fly of course but it looks like the price would be the same as driving all the way to Miami. 

Any input?? 

I did Western Caribbean on the Getaway last year, but I imagine my ports were different.  Hurricane Michael got in the way of the original itinerary.   Never gone NY to Bermuda, but I have done Boston to Bermuda a few times.  Basically the same itinerary just different days in Bermuda.  Honestly, I'd pick going to Bermuda for the 6th time over doing W.C. again.  Having multiple days on Bermuda and easy access to transportation to explore the island however I want is a bonus to me.  Instead of only spending a few hours at a variety of ports where you are limited in time.  Plus Bermuda is very safe to explore without excursions (NCL or third party).  Both the Breakaway and Encore are large ships with lots of things to do, so I'm sure the boys will have a great time on either.

One thing to keep in mind is that Bermuda is further north and May is early in the warming season.  Some think the water is too cold for swimming at that time of year.  Being from Maine I thought the water was perfect a few weeks ago, and still warmer than what it gets all year at  home.  Since I see you're from FL, you may not enjoy the cooler waters.   

I agree with Wicked Red about choosing Bermuda over the western Caribbean.

DH and I are planning our fourteenth visit to Bermuda in November as cooler temps. are good for us to play golf there.

Bermuda is a lovely place with lots of activities for your boys. Some are located very near the dock. A fort, mini golf, ferries into Hamilton ( the capital city ) or St. George’s a great place to walk around, boat or jet ski rentals,to name a few.

Bermuda has  beautiful beaches,a small zoo and aquarium, lighthouses to climb ,caves to explore,a hiking trail where the railroad used to operate, and,outs of friendly people trying to help make your vacation enjoyable.

My DH and I have sailed to the western Caribbean once, enough said.

Since you would be flying to NYC to board the ship, you may consider spending a few days pre or post cruise in the City.

Lots of things to do for your family. Central Park with various attractions including a zoo. There are plenty of  museums , Broadway shows, a ball game at YankeeStadium or Citi Field,walking on the High Line or neighborhoods such as Little Italy are some of the suggestions I give to visitors to my native city.

i hope you enjoy your vacation !

If you decide to go the NYC route there are ways to have fun and keep the costs down.

The Museum of Natural History is fantastic and if you do general admission you can

all get in for under $100.00 total. Eat at a deli that locals frequent not the "famous" ones.

The one I am thinking of is near Penn Station (sorry I forgot the name) and you take a

container and fill it from a buffet of hot and cold items, they weigh it then go upstairs

and eat at your leisure. The last time we were there it was aprox. $10 pp but we didn't load

up our containers too full.

We sailed Breakaway from new York to Bermuda in 2017 and Western Caribbean from New Orleans earlier this year. We have Breakaway booked again next February from Port Canaveral for an Eastern Caribbean itinerary so obviously like the Breakaway. With that said I would recommend the Encore to Bermuda.

The Encore is a brand new ship still under construction with lots of things for two boys to do and enjoy. Sailing from Manhattan is a unique experience especially if you are new or unfamiliar with the city and Bermuda is a beautiful destination that is easy to explore on your own or on excursions.

Since you will spend two nights in Bermuda you are not constrained by sailing time until the last day. There are things to see dockside as well as around the island which can easily be done by ferry or public transportation. Plus from May through September Hamilton has its Harbour Nights festival each Wednesday.

We do love the Breakaway but if the cost is close we would definitely take the brand new ship to Bermuda.  Of course if you decide to sail Breakaway you will enjoy that ship also.

Thanks everyone for the input. Funny enough we spent about a week in NYC over the holidays and we did central park, museum of natural history, empire state etc. We had so much fun. Granted being there in the warmer weather would be a different experience for sure. And there are some things we ran out of time to do. For instance my kids are in love with baseball so catching a MLB game would be awesome. 

The cruise we were looking at was departing 5/31 thru June 7th so technically the first week of June. Hopefully the water would be warm enough then! 

Has anyone ever used the free airfare options before? I noticed that myself and my wife show up as free but the kids are $299 each. I priced out some flights on Southwest and it was a little over $1k for all 4 of us. Which airport is the best to fly into? I'm guessing Laguardia? 

On 6/3/2019 at 8:52 PM, Sup_Devil said:

Hi all, 

So I'm hoping to get some feedback from the experienced cruisers. We sailed on the Epic last spring break for 4 nights and had a great time overall. We are a family of 4, 2 boys that will be 13 and 9 next summer when we are looking to take our second cruise. 

We have cruisenext certificates to use and we live in FL. Unfortunately, ncl doesn't sail out of the Florida ports really over the summer. There are some early summer dates in May out of Miami which is a pretty long drive.(Breakaway). Then I noticed that there was a promotion for the Encore sailing out of NYC that included the 3rd and 4th guests free plus free/reduced airfare. 

After quoting both out it looks very close to the same price. I'm curious what would be a better option. I know the kids really want to do the go karts etc. They had a blast on the Epic slides and other activities. We'd have to fly of course but it looks like the price would be the same as driving all the way to Miami. 

Any input?? 

My wife and I are currently booked Encore out of NYC to Bermuda on the sailing you're looking at (5/31).  What is nice about Bermuda is that it is basically like being at a resort, but that resort is a cruise ship that is sailing out of NYC with a few sea days surrounding your resort stay.  Once your at the island, you have 2 full days and 3 nights to really enjoy the island at your own leisure without having to worry about making it back for sailaway.

But let me ask you this.  If your kids are all about the go-karts, would they also be interested in the laser tag and Galaxy Pavilion which will also be on the Encore?  I know when I was a kid, those would have been places I would have absolutely loved.

Edited by Beardface

We've done both itineraries but on the BA and GA.  Both cruises were great but I would probably pick the Encore with the Bermuda itinerary if they are comparable in price.  We loved both itineraries but there is something about a new ship that really entices me.  Either way the cruise will be wonderful.  If you have any questions regarding ports just ask away.

24 minutes ago, Beardface said:

My wife and I are currently booked Encore out of NYC to Bermuda on the sailing you're looking at (5/31).  What is nice about Bermuda is that it is basically like being at a resort, but that resort is a cruise ship that is sailing out of NYC with a few sea days surrounding your resort stay.  Once your at the island, you have 2 full days and 3 nights to really enjoy the island at your own leisure without having to worry about making it back for sailaway.

But let me ask you this.  If your kids are all about the go-karts, would they also be interested in the laser tag and Galaxy Pavilion which will also be on the Encore?  I know when I was a kid, those would have been places I would have absolutely loved.

Thank you, yes my kids love laser tag.. Lol we were actually at the local laser tag place this past weekend. I think we will love the idea of having 3 days to explore. Rather than the fast paced part of different ports each day. 

2 minutes ago, Sup_Devil said:

Thank you, yes my kids love laser tag.. Lol we were actually at the local laser tag place this past weekend. I think we will love the idea of having 3 days to explore. Rather than the fast paced part of different ports each day. 

Looks like we might be on the same sailing.  If so, I promise not to run them into the wall too many times on the go-kart track 😂

4 minutes ago, Beardface said:

Looks like we might be on the same sailing.  If so, I promise not to run them into the wall too many times on the go-kart track 😂

Haha, not if I can get to them first!! 

Thank you all for the feedback! I officially booked the Encore 7 night Bermuda sailing! 3rd and 4th sail free plus free/reduced airfare plus all free at sea offers was a no brainer! Now.... What to do with 3 days on Bermuda!