Suggestions for transport in Phuket

M Clarkson

I'm looking for ideas and advice from anyone who has been on a cruise that has stopped in Phuket. We are a family of 4 and will have an overnight stop there during our cruise early next year. Is it easy enough to book a driver for a customised tour when we arrive in Patong? If you have done this would you mind giving me an idea of how much it cost please? Also, any suggestions of what to do or what to give a miss would be greatly appreciated.

There will be lots of taxis at the pier you tender to in Patong. Taxis are cheap in Phuket but those by the pier will have $ signs in their eyes. You must haggle - if they are not for dropping their price, walk away and a few blocks into town there will be taxis charging more reasonable rates.

Phuket is relatively small and you will get round the island in a day, certainly in 1.5 days.

We have visited by cruise ship once and been on vacation twice. We rent a car when on vacation- driving is ok and not crazy like some Far East destinations. Lots of car rental locations in Patong and might be worth considering if you are overnighting there.

• Like 1

We have spent time in Phuket twice while on land trips.  

I think that you will get a better quality of service at a better rate by arranging something ahead of time.   Three years ago we used a gentleman who we were very pleased with.  He picked us up at our resort outside Patong, toured us about (he will send you a description of the tour) for the day, then dropped us at our hotel near the airport for an early flight to Cambodia.

The cost for the five hour tour was 1400 baht (march 2016 total) .  Then we paid a little extra in order to get taken to our airport hotel vs Patong.   I think a full day would have been 1800.  Prices vary of course based on how busy he is, etc. 

We were very satisfied with the communication (all by email), he was punctual, good clean vehicle, safe driver, pleasant personality, personable.

I managed to locate his details from my email:

Panya Kamman

PPKK TOUR SERVICE
TAT licensee No. 34/00836 
Hotline : +66818918011
Mobile : + 66878002705
Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 4:56 PM, M Clarkson said:

Also, any suggestions of what to do or what to give a miss would be greatly appreciated.

In February of this year,  we visited the Green Elephant Sanctuary,  just a short drive from Phuket.  The tour was organized by the ship, included the sanctuary and a short stop in the town of Phuket.  The elephant sanctuary was absolutely amazing,  we fed the elephants, went into the mud pools with them and ultimately gave them a shower.  This was followed  ( after a shower in their excellent facilities) by an excellent Thai luncheon on site.  One of the very best ship's tours ever!  The thirteen female elephants residing there with their mahouts,  have all been rescued and will live out their lives in this fabulous facility developed by a Swiss man.  There were two very young ones,  one just a few months old.  You can google the site for more information. We stopped in the town of Phuket for a walk in the old colonial part of the town before returning to the ship.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2019 at 4:20 PM, iancal said:

We have spent time in Phuket twice while on land trips.  

I think that you will get a better quality of service at a better rate by arranging something ahead of time.   Three years ago we used a gentleman who we were very pleased with.  He picked us up at our resort outside Patong, toured us about (he will send you a description of the tour) for the day, then dropped us at our hotel near the airport for an early flight to Cambodia.

The cost for the five hour tour was 1400 baht (march 2016 total) .  Then we paid a little extra in order to get taken to our airport hotel vs Patong.   I think a full day would have been 1800.  Prices vary of course based on how busy he is, etc. 

We were very satisfied with the communication (all by email), he was punctual, good clean vehicle, safe driver, pleasant personality, personable.

I managed to locate his details from my email:

Panya Kamman

PPKK TOUR SERVICE
TAT licensee No. 34/00836 
Hotline : +66818918011
Mobile : + 66878002705

Thanks for this - I've made a note of your driver's contact details and will very likely contact him closer to the time.

5 hours ago, GeezLouise1 said:

In February of this year,  we visited the Green Elephant Sanctuary,  just a short drive from Phuket.  The tour was organized by the ship, included the sanctuary and a short stop in the town of Phuket.  The elephant sanctuary was absolutely amazing,  we fed the elephants, went into the mud pools with them and ultimately gave them a shower.  This was followed  ( after a shower in their excellent facilities) by an excellent Thai luncheon on site.  One of the very best ship's tours ever!  The thirteen female elephants residing there with their mahouts,  have all been rescued and will live out their lives in this fabulous facility developed by a Swiss man.  There were two very young ones,  one just a few months old.  You can google the site for more information. We stopped in the town of Phuket for a walk in the old colonial part of the town before returning to the ship.

We're keen to include a visit to an elephant sanctuary so thank you for recommending this one. The ship excursions aren't available for viewing yet but happy to consider doing it independently if necessary.

You might want to get an idea of costs from him now and potentially pencil in the date to secure your date.    Your last excursion price might give you an indication of how it compares to an independent tour.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/9/2019 at 11:23 AM, GeezLouise1 said:

@GeezLouise1 I've been watching for this tour on NCL but so far can only see this one. Do you think it's the same one?

image.thumb.png.53b911f2a4067cbc220ed38def2a40c2.png

HiUsnooz - it doesn't look like it,  the Green Elephant Sanctuary doesn't put saddles on any of their elephants,  in fact,  they rescue them from those who do.  If you contact the Sanctuary,  they might be able to put you in touch with a private tour organizer.  Sorry,  can't be more helpful.  Ex Norwood and River Heights gal here 😉

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2019 at 6:10 PM, GeezLouise1 said:

HiUsnooz - it doesn't look like it,  the Green Elephant Sanctuary doesn't put saddles on any of their elephants,  in fact,  they rescue them from those who do.  If you contact the Sanctuary,  they might be able to put you in touch with a private tour organizer.  Sorry,  can't be more helpful.  Ex Norwood and River Heights gal here 😉

Thanks @GeezLouise1, I’ll do that! Also, small world 🌎🙂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2019 at 3:37 PM, USnoozUCruise said:

@GeezLouise1 I've been watching for this tour on NCL but so far can only see this one. Do you think it's the same one?

image.thumb.png.53b911f2a4067cbc220ed38def2a40c2.png

It's not the same for sure. We looked into it and finally decided on a mountain hilltribe elephant sanctuary in Chiang Mai. We are going there and Vietnam before the cruise from Singapore. There are a couple sanctuaries in Phuket and you can either get picked up in Patong or take a taxi. If they ride elephants, they are not being kind.