Harrison's Cave and Mobility Issues

JuanL

This may have been answered, but I can't find it in the search.   Harrison's Cave in Barbados seems like an easy and fun thing to do for an older person with mobility issues.  There is a tram -- which seems to start near or at the entrance.  Yet, both the cruise excursion and Glory Tours say it is not for people with knee problems or difficulty walking.  I would not take the cruise ship excursion because of the problem of getting on and off the high steps of a regular bus, so I can understand that.   However, if there is a small group van, or even a private tour, what, if anything would be a 'problem' for someone with mobility issues?  I would really like to take my elderly Mom.  She uses a rollator, but can hold on to me to take some steps to get on and off a tram.  For example, she went to Hershey, PA last year and was able to get on and off the tram with my help and the floor moving.  She can get to a seat in a theater holding on to me after parking her rollator.  Can anyone shed light on this?  Do you have suggestions?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We just did a tour to Harrison's Cave in April. Our tour had a big bus out and an open four wheel truck on the way back which requires a big step up on a bumper step. As long as it isn't this tour (we bounced over rough off road trails on the way back,thank heavens for seat belts or I would have been very acquainted with the gentleman across the isle facing me!) When we arrived at Harrison's Cave the main upper entrance to the best of my recollection did not have any barriers. You take an elevator down into the gulley where you can wander around a bit and look at the beautiful trees and plants growing in the walls. The path is paved. When they call your group you then go into another building for information on Barbados. The "holding" area before you go into the small movie theater had limited seating, but hopefully someone would let your mother sit if needed. The little theater had some steps- but not in the first row. The tram was comfortable, and a small step up into it. They do stop to allow people off the tram, take pictures and such but you would not need to get off the tram. You take the elevator back up the main area after. I don't have a picture of the area up top, just from down in the gulley. First is the elevator down to the gulley, the next is the building you access the cave into.  Here is the website that might be able to tell you more about what to expect. http://www.harrisonscave.com/

Elevator at Harrison's Cave.JPG

Entrance to Harrisons.JPG

Edited by WisconsinFan

Thanks so much, WisconsinFan.  That helps.  I wasn't sure about how you get to the area where you get the tram.  She would be OK waiting because she has a rollator with a seat.  I can always push her a little in it if it is too much walking.  She can also do 2-3 small steps.    I know my Mom can't do a bus, so I've written to Glory Tours that people have recommended on Cruise Critic to see about the type of transportation for a small group tour or options for a private tour.  No one answers.  But thanks again for all your information!

• 1 month later...

The Celebrity tour for this cave says you must be able to walk 500 yards over uneven and cobblestone surfaces.  Can you tell me if this walking is uphill (either going in or going out)?  The uneven surfaces are not a problem for me, but steep inclines are.  Thanks.