POA - Age range on winter cruises

Tabbymom

I'm trying to talk my 31 year old son (I'm 67) into going on the Hawaii cruise in January or February since my husband isn't interested.  Will there be other younger adults on the ship, or is it mainly mature cruisers?  I'll tell him he doesn't have to do anything with me if he doesn't want to  (except share a cabin),   but will there be others in his age range?  He's not very gregarious but does enjoy participating in cruise activities - his only other cruise was when he was 20 on RCI Mariner.  I think he'll enjoy the casual dress and meals.  He was in Hawaii when he was 5 years old but doesn't remember it, and wants to go again.  I've been three times but not since that trip.

3 hours ago, Tabbymom said:

I'm trying to talk my 31 year old son (I'm 67) into going on the Hawaii cruise in January or February since my husband isn't interested.  Will there be other younger adults on the ship, or is it mainly mature cruisers?  I'll tell him he doesn't have to do anything with me if he doesn't want to  (except share a cabin),   but will there be others in his age range?  He's not very gregarious but does enjoy participating in cruise activities - his only other cruise was when he was 20 on RCI Mariner.  I think he'll enjoy the casual dress and meals.  He was in Hawaii when he was 5 years old but doesn't remember it, and wants to go again.  I've been three times but not since that trip.

Think of the POA as a floating hotel that moves you from island to island.  Most passengers are go-go-go every day, and return to the ship to have something to eat, shower and sleep before repeating the process the next day at the next port.  Neither the ship nor anything on it is the draw.  If by "RCI Mariner" you mean Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Seas, the POA will be a far cry from that in many ways.  If you are looking for a social atmosphere for your son, the POA may come up lacking.

Oh sure, I know all that. But you are having dinner onboard most nights and there is entertainment and music venues and such. So I just wondered if wandering around the ship in the evening, son might encounter his demographic instead of only mine.

12 hours ago, Tabbymom said:

Oh sure, I know all that. But you are having dinner onboard most nights and there is entertainment and music venues and such. So I just wondered if wandering around the ship in the evening, son might encounter his demographic instead of only mine.

I was on POA last March and there was a wide variety of ages ranges onboard from maybe 30's up to 70's. He might have some luck meeting people his own age at the solo travelers meet they are supposed to have every evening. I say "supposed to have" because it's on the daily newsletter but I have no first hand knowledge that it actually occurs.

We were on POA last year as a family group—we’re not retirement age, but we’re also not the thirty-something singles demographic that your son may prefer.

My sense is that there will probably be some people in their early thirties, but not that many.

But then for most people the POA isn’t really about hanging out and socializing on the ship anyway. With the ship being at port every day and sometimes staying overnight, most cruisers are going ashore every day, often for most of the day. Maybe your son can sign up for some of the more adventurous excursions?