Train from Salerno to Pompei

happythoughts

I was looking at the Trenitalia site and there appears to be 5 or 6 different station choices in Salerno and 1 in Pompei. What is the name of the station I should use in Salerno? I think I read that there is one close to the cruise port, but it is uphill and harder to find and another train station slightly further away that is better. Any advice would be appreciated.

from the website Salerno has: Arbostella, Irma, Mercatello-Maricanda, Pastena, Stadio Arechi-San Leonardo. It also, however, just allows me to type Salerno.

On foot the Duomo - Via Vernieri station is 1.6 k/1 mile from the cruise port while the main station, Salerno, is 2.3 k/1.4 miles.  The walk is shorter from the port shuttle drop off point (in both cases) but I don't know exactly where they are dropping off these days, it seems to change based on different reports I've read.

Both are relatively flat walks but at the Duomo station the tracks are overhead, so you need to climb a flight of stairs.  It is absolutely more difficult to find the Duomo station but if you print out a map ahead of time you can do it.

You're probably not seeing this station when you type in "Salerno" because for some reason it's not identified as Salerno Duomo Via Vernieri.  If you start typing "Duomo" it should come up for you.