Falmouth, Jamaica Safety

soccermom05

Hi, We are taking a cruise with Royal Caribbean in September and one of our stops is Falmouth, Jamaica.  We picked this as we have never been to Jamaica before.  We booked the Dunn’s River Falls/Tubing excursion.  How safe are the excursions?  Also shopping near the shop at the port-is this a safe area?

• Like 1

We always tour with Cool Dave.  We've spent the day with him many times and have never felt unsafe - not even a little bit.  He is very vigilant and stays with the van with our valuables locked inside.  He's soooo friendly and provides great service.  

Who did you book with?  If you booked with the ship - please consider cancelling and using Cool Dave.  The tour provider makes all of the difference in Jamaica.  We've been there at least 15 times.  If you go with the ship - it will be on a coach bus full of people.  You will have a strict timeline and be in a crowd of people the entire day.  If you use Dave, the day will be at your pace.  Stop for photos anywhere you like.  Climb the falls on your own - not is a group of 30 people holding hands.  Take your time or race up and climb twice if you like.  His independent tour is fabulous!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2019 at 9:02 PM, #1TravelMom said:

We always tour with Cool Dave.  We've spent the day with him many times and have never felt unsafe - not even a little bit.  He is very vigilant and stays with the van with our valuables locked inside.  He's soooo friendly and provides great service.  

Who did you book with?  If you booked with the ship - please consider cancelling and using Cool Dave.  The tour provider makes all of the difference in Jamaica.  We've been there at least 15 times.  If you go with the ship - it will be on a coach bus full of people.  You will have a strict timeline and be in a crowd of people the entire day.  If you use Dave, the day will be at your pace.  Stop for photos anywhere you like.  Climb the falls on your own - not is a group of 30 people holding hands.  Take your time or race up and climb twice if you like.  His independent tour is fabulous!

Hi do u have contact for cool Dave? Thx

The shopping area at the port is only open to cruise passengers and select vendors. It’s about as safe as Disney World. 

Outside the gated port area, Falmouth is a bit grittier. I saw a definite police presence, and I’m sure it’s safe unless you’re trying to break the law, but there are a lot of people who are pretty desperate to sell you things. It can be uncomfortable if you aren’t used to it. 

Dunn’s River Falls are a huge draw for tourists. You’ll be fine.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2019 at 9:02 PM, #1TravelMom said:

We are docking in Falmouth for a New Year's Cruise and I am very interested in booking a private tour to Dunn's River Falls. How do I contact Cool Dave?

cooldavetours@yahoo.com     Keron will contact you - he schedules everything for Cool Dave.

Wow - surprised to hear about the broken bones.  I've never seen more than a scrape.  We've been there at least 10 times.  I usually fall and get a small scrape - but have so much fun - go back for more every time we visit.  Picture a young, athletic, non-chubby, coordinated, strong mom - I am the OPPOSITE of that - except for the mom part.  I have lots of heart and am adventurous - always determined to make great memories.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...