Formal night and kids...what to do????

1st timer here! we're cruisin on SOS in May. Me, dh, dd 3 1/2 and ds 7. We're unsure how formal nights work...do we take kids with us or feed them before hand and then take them to the kids club? Also what type of clothes are considered formal and what type of clothes are we supposed to wear for non-formal nights? Any advice is appreciated!!!!! TIA!!!!

We took our kids to formal night ages 12 and 15. They were dress pants, dress shirt and tie. They can also wear a sportjacket if you have one. Most women wear evening dresses, long or short. Men can wear tuxedos or a suit. I found of all the cruises I've been on so far, most of the men wore suits. On all other nights I wore a casual dress or dress pants and a blouse. Husband wore dress pants (Dockers, etc.) and a nice shirt. No T-shirts!

We have sailed with our two boys since they were 9 months old, we have always had them come to dinner with us. No one will worry too much how they are dressed. Our boys are now 18 and 13 and both have tux's. It s one of the things we love about cruising is being able to sit down together and enjoy dinner. We find with our busy lives at home we arn't able to do that very often.

Brian J

The following expectation can be found on RCI’s Web Page:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/custom...I4U:v2mocc7o#8

What are the dress codes onboard?

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and the remainder are casual nights.

5 – night cruises include one formal and the remainder casual nights.

6 – night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual and the remainder are casual nights .

7 to 9-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and the remainder nights are casual nights.

10 to13-night cruises include two formal nights and two smart casual nights, and the remainder are casual nights.

14+ -night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights and the remainder are casual nights.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

we have always taken our children when they were young. The girls had sun dresses to put on and a nicer dress for the formal nights, church kind of dresses to ware. We have never not let the kids eat with us an then go to the club after dinner and a change of clothing. Hope that helps some.

Same with me, our children have always come to the formal dinners with us. Just for your info--last year we bought our then 13 year old son a great suit at Sears for $69.00!!! He has gotten soooooo much wear out of it. People are very understanding about children at dinner. Enjoy yourselves and don't fret the small stuff (ones). Remember that this is just as much their vacation as it is yours and your DH.:D

If you have early/main dinner seating you have no choice but to bring the kids with you to all meals. Dinner is at 6pm and the kids' clubs don't open until 7pm. That being said, on formal nights the Adventure Ocean program does offer a kids' "dine with the Adventure Ocean staff" program -- but you must sign up ahead of time and space is limited, so there is no guarantee.

If you have late seating, then you have the ultimate flexibility -- the kids' program is open before your dinner begins, so you can have the kids join you or feed them ahead of time and take them to the kids' club.

With our 7 year old (who has been on 5 cruises since his 5th birthday) we usually have him join us 1 formal night and try to get him signed up for the dine-with-the-staff program on the other formal night (we always do early dinner seating when cruising with the kids -- otherwise they miss all the evening kids program activities).

With our 7 year old (who has been on 5 cruises since his 5th birthday) we usually have him join us 1 formal night and try to get him signed up for the dine-with-the-staff program on the other formal night (we always do early dinner seating when cruising with the kids -- otherwise they miss all the evening kids program activities).

Thanks for the tips!!! There will only be 1 formal night for our 5 day cruise and I did pick early dinner seating, so I guess after dinner we could take them to the kids club and then go off by ourselves somewhere for the rest of the evening. I am just afraid my 3 1/2 y.o won't behave herself-LOL!

Loveysbydesign: I don't want to be thought of as a "Mommie Dearest", but don't overlook the babysitting services offered by cruise staff if you and your husband would like a little time alone on the formal night (or any other!) Remember that this is also your vacation, and the sitters are probably more fun to be around than parents! We have used them several times and they have all been delightful! My daughter has traveled with us on cruises since she was 4 (she's 20 now with 16 cruises under her belt). I would arrange a sitter for the times I want as soon as I get onboard so I am able to get one when I want one. Remember, Moms deserve a break too! This is your vacation too, and a little time for yourself isn't too indulgent!

The thing I like about taking the kids to formal nice is the photo opp. We have gotten some really great family portraits on cruises. Our boys are now 15 and have tuxes (we had tailored from my husband's old one and another 'gift' used). When they were little, they would wear a navy blazer and tie on formal nights, open collared dress shirt and docker type pants on other nights. My daughter always has a more "formal" dress from easter or christmas and usually sundresses on other nights. We usually try to get our alone nights at an alternative dining spot on other nights of the cruise. That night we either would take them to the Windjammer or do room service, then take them to the club at seven and go on to our dinner.

If you have early/main dinner seating you have no choice but to bring the kids with you to all meals. Dinner is at 6pm and the kids' clubs don't open until 7pm. That being said, on formal nights the Adventure Ocean program does offer a kids' "dine with the Adventure Ocean staff" program -- but you must sign up ahead of time and space is limited, so there is no guarantee.

This was never a problem, I know its "limited" but it is highly unlikely that they will fill up. You will have a choice if you want to have a "date night". We did this one night out of the two formal nights we had and it was a nice break. You deserve some alone time away from the kids, its your vacation too!! I wouldnt worry so much about putting your son in a jacket but a nice shirt and tie and dress pants(unless you want him in a jacket for photos). Your DD could wear a holiday type dress and look fine.

For the other nights just stay away from shorts, jeans, and t-shirts and you will be fine. Enjoy!

Archived