Pride of America: Just Got Back/AMA

coyboy1971

Thanks so much for the info regarding bell caps at the pier--- I made arrangements with Charlies taxi--- We are staying very close to the pier 2 nights before cruise--- Ride is only 5 minutes down the street- so I think we will be ok.  I will check out the service you mentioned, for the ride after the cruise to the airport, if we have a problem.

I envy that you were able to stay in a suite.  On this ship those premium cabins are either way front or aft.  I can only stay in a cabin mid ship, and not too high up- I'm one of those people that wears the wrist bands and faithfully takes Bonine on cruises continuously, plus ginger capsules, etc., so whatever cabins are mid ship, gets our business.

Regarding times at specialty restaurants.  I booked for 6:00 to allow enough time to catch the later show--- What time were your reservations, which took 2 hours for dinner?  Just curious.  Anita

8 minutes ago, Jetswdo said:

Thanks so much for the info regarding bell caps at the pier--- I made arrangements with Charlies taxi--- We are staying very close to the pier 2 nights before cruise--- Ride is only 5 minutes down the street- so I think we will be ok.  I will check out the service you mentioned, for the ride after the cruise to the airport, if we have a problem.

I envy that you were able to stay in a suite.  On this ship those premium cabins are either way front or aft.  I can only stay in a cabin mid ship, and not too high up- I'm one of those people that wears the wrist bands and faithfully takes Bonine on cruises continuously, plus ginger capsules, etc., so whatever cabins are mid ship, gets our business.

Regarding times at specialty restaurants.  I booked for 6:00 to allow enough time to catch the later show--- What time were your reservations, which took 2 hours for dinner?  Just curious.  Anita

Totally understand about the need to be mid-ship - the good news is you'll be close to the only 2 elevators that go to deck 3 where the gangway will be all week. 

There was was no rhyme nor reason for our 2+ hour dinners. From as early as 5:30 and 6:00 pm in Cagney's and Liberty to as late as 7:30 pm in La Cucina, it seemed like the kitchen was slow... long gaps between courses. The food was very very good and nicely plated. I did note that several assistant waiters were training during the week. 

The one exception was the Bistro. We had a very nice 3 course dinner and bottle of wine with top notch unrushed service. We sat down at 7:15 pm and were scraping the chocolate off our dessert plates at 8:15 pm and caught the show that night at 8:30 pm without any problem. Courses came out promptly and were nicely presented. 

Thanks for all the information.  Really appreciate it.  So as long as we are out of restaurants by 8:00 we should be ok to catch the shows.   Regarding the shows:  The "lights, camera, action" Hollywood review-- what did you think of it?  We are usually so tired in the evening,  we try to make it to a comedy show for sure- the first night show and last night farewell show.  I know there is a singing group that is supposed to be pretty good, scheduled on our sailing, so we will try to make that one.

30 minutes ago, Jetswdo said:

Thanks for all the information.  Really appreciate it.  So as long as we are out of restaurants by 8:00 we should be ok to catch the shows.   Regarding the shows:  The "lights, camera, action" Hollywood review-- what did you think of it?  We are usually so tired in the evening,  we try to make it to a comedy show for sure- the first night show and last night farewell show.  I know there is a singing group that is supposed to be pretty good, scheduled on our sailing, so we will try to make that one.

Both the Hollywood show (which is a tribute to the golden era of Hollywood musicals) and the Las Vegas show are great musical reviews if you like that sort of thing. They both run about 45 minutes. I'm still humming Boom-Chica-Boom from the Carmen Miranda number. 

On 6/25/2019 at 2:45 PM, B-52 said:

Thanks for your very helpful input....app. 60 days to go for us...

B-52, our POA cruise is August 24....is that the same as yours?

On 6/25/2019 at 7:23 AM, Crown Cruiser said:

My family and I will be POA on July 27th.

We are in a full suite, but my son and his girlfriend are in a balcony cabin.  Can they embark with us in the VIP area?

Thanks for your help.

I'll be on that sailing with you, we're less than 30 days away 🙂

My sister & I have adjoining rooms on deck 9. No suite life for us, unless our low ball bids get accepted for an upgrade.

I made a last minute decision to book Jefferson's Bistro for our first night to use up the last of our dining credits. I'm not a fan of French food, but they seemed to have 'normal' stuff like chicken and steak anyway so I figured I would be ok and wanted to see what everyone raves about.

Did you have a favorite restaurant that stood out? We're also big wine drinkers, did anything really surprise you and make you want to find a bottle back home to drink that you remember?

We're sailing in exactly 1 month, can't wait!

1 hour ago, Sailing12Away said:

I made a last minute decision to book Jefferson's Bistro for our first night to use up the last of our dining credits. I'm not a fan of French food, but they seemed to have 'normal' stuff like chicken and steak anyway so I figured I would be ok and wanted to see what everyone raves about.

Did you have a favorite restaurant that stood out? We're also big wine drinkers, did anything really surprise you and make you want to find a bottle back home to drink that you remember?

We're sailing in exactly 1 month, can't wait!

My favorite dinner was in La Cucina. The decor felt fresh and service was great. I really enjoyed the burrata and tomatoes to start, and the gamberi fra diavalo was delicious. This was paired with a crisp white wine I definitely want to track down called a Greco di Tufo.

Do you remember which night was the Hollywood show?   Does this order sound right:  First night, the welcome show. Second night the Hawaiian Dancers, third night (second day in Maui) was that the Hollywood show?  Fourth night- magician? Fifth night, singing group, sixth night the comedian? and then last night, the Las Vegas farewell show---I know for sure that one is very good.

2 hours ago, Jetswdo said:

Do you remember which night was the Hollywood show?   Does this order sound right:  First night, the welcome show. Second night the Hawaiian Dancers, third night (second day in Maui) was that the Hollywood show?  Fourth night- magician? Fifth night, singing group, sixth night the comedian? and then last night, the Las Vegas farewell show---I know for sure that one is very good.

You nailed the line-up!

16 hours ago, rtread said:

B-52, our POA cruise is August 24....is that the same as yours?

Yes, I believe so.......

‘stop by the roll call for that cruise.

there is only a handful of us now but it is growing