Delta airlines changed our JFK connection time

douglejuggle

Not sure if this this the proper forum to discuss this but Delta changed our connection times between flights to only 41 minutes. We are arriving from San Juan to JFK airport and must catch a departing flight to Toronto Canada (YYZ) in 41 minutes. (I don’t know which terminals yet)

Delta changed the original flight leaving SAN Juan to JFK and didn’t even bother to notify me. I had allowed just over an hour to change planes in my original  flight plan. 

Anybody have  experience at JFK with connecting flights to Toronto Canada?

20 minutes ago, douglejuggle said:

Not sure if this this the proper forum to discuss this but Delta changed our connection times between flights to only 41 minutes. We are arriving from San Juan to JFK airport and must catch a departing flight to Toronto Canada (YYZ) in 41 minutes. (I don’t know which terminals yet)

Delta changed the original flight leaving SAN Juan to JFK and didn’t even bother to notify me. I had allowed just over an hour to change planes in my original  flight plan. 

Anybody have  experience at JFK with connecting flights to Toronto Canada?

I'm not sure about navigating JFK in 41 minutes, but it doesn't sound like it leaves you any room for error, either a delay in the flight or in getting off the plane.  Typically, if Delta changes your itinerary, they give you an opportunity to change flights with no penalty.  Is there perhaps a slightly later flight between JFK and Toronto that they could put you on?  If so, I would give them a call and request a switch. 

The good news is that the flight from PR is a long flight and the airlines are building in extra time into their flight schedules these days in order to improve their on-time performance ratings. So, you will likely arrive early, maybe as much as 30 minutes. If you are connecting to another Delta flight its their responsibility to get you to YYZ if you miss your connection due to late arrival. However, Cocopico is correct that if you call Delta about this schedule change they will probably allow you to change flights without a penalty fee. You might even have the option go going through Laguardia or Newark airports. On the down side, I believe 41 minutes is a "legal" connection which means that they technically don't actually have to do anything for you. The big factor is if they have seats available on other flights in your fare code. My experience with the airlines is that being nice really helps. If you don't get the results you want, politely finish the call and then call back until you get a sympathetic agent.

41 minutes is extremely tight. When we have had similar changes with tight connection times we request different flights and have been allowed to change for no fee. 

Consider requesting routing through Atlanta, as Delta has more flights through ATL versus through JFK. 

That would give you more options in the event of a delayed flight from SJU. Plus, if I am going to be stuck somewhere--I would choose ATL over JFK.

If I am guessing correctly you are on the 5 PM Delta flight from SJU. If you miss your connection in JFK, you will likely not make it home that night as there are no more Delta flights JFK-YYZ later that day. A missed connection will mean an overnight near the airport and a flight home the following day. 

You should get notifications for flight changes if you have text/email notification set up. Not sure if on Delta this is set up in your profile or via each PNR. But validate that when you speak with them so that you get notifications for any future changes.

It is not just you that has to negotiate the 41 minute connection.  Any checked bags have to make the connection as well.  I would be looking for alternative accommodation.  

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 4:47 PM, Jack E Dawson said:

If you are connecting to another Delta flight its their responsibility to get you to YYZ if you miss your connection due to late arrival.

This is true but we have found it can turn out awful.  You can end up waiting forever for a later flight, lose any choice of seating, lose business class and get extra stops and plane changes thrown in.  The subject is a little raw for us as we experienced this not long ago and ended up in middle seats on separate rows, and were the last two people put on the plane.  We had to literally run hauling our luggage to another location otherwise we would have had to wait even longer.  After flying for 24 hours we just wanted to get home.  

We were told we would get a refund, and after a zillion phone calls and hours of work, we finally received a refund only because our TA got involved and made a call or two!  

All to say….if I were you I'd give them a call and change that flight!!!