Westmark Hotel in Fairbanks......any reviews?

KG2019

Staying at Westmark in Fairbanks...….Trip Advisor has some TERRIBLE reviews, along with some good...…..just wondering if anyone here had any experience there?  It will be our last night of an 11-day cruise/tour.  Staying at a bad hotel for our last night is going to be aggrivating!

We were there earlier this month.  The Westmark was OK, nothing fancy, but clean and kept up.  There was not much to do in the general area...walked a few block to the Thai House for dinner.  A few blocks away, you can get a city bus to go to other areas.  We did go to the museum near the University campus...was interesting.   The Fairbanks airport was a problem for us...our flight was cancelled because of mechanical problems, and we were rescheduled on a flight 28 hours later...then, that flight was delayed...got home Monday at 3 pm, were supposed to get home on Sunday at 6 am.  Not good memories of the end of our 2 week Alaska adventure! 

We spent our last night in Alaska in early June at the Fairbanks Westmark. Our room was fine. We ate at the Aloha BBQ restaurant, which is a couple of blocks into downtown from the hotel. There is a really funky gift shop across from the Aloha BBQ, which is worth checking out.

Thanks for the replies!  We will be getting to the hotel late evening so we will probably eat at the hotel restaurant, and we have to get up early to leave Fairbanks at 5:30.....so we actually won't be in the room for that long,  but I had read some awful reviews on trip advisor.  If the room is clean that is all I ask.  Thanks again!

For the sake of total accuracy, I am not aware of any "museum near the University campus" as mentioned by "ktbraun."  I suspect they were at the Museum of the North which is located on the University of Alaska Fairbanks campus in the West Ridge building complex.  

Have to wonder why the 28 hour flight delay -- wonder if they were either on an airline which only offers seasonal service to Fairbanks or on one of the cruise chartered flights.

If you are unhappy with your room...ask for another.  There is quite a variety from older and larger rooms to more modern and smaller “business” travel style.   There wasn’t much room for our luggage in the more modern room so I asked to be moved and got a more roomy older style which was clean and functional.  If eating at the hotel we preferred the bar menu (sandwiches) to the dining room menu.

On 6/30/2019 at 12:58 PM, KG2019 said:

Staying at Westmark in Fairbanks...….Trip Advisor has some TERRIBLE reviews, along with some good...…..just wondering if anyone here had any experience there?  It will be our last night of an 11-day cruise/tour.  Staying at a bad hotel for our last night is going to be aggrivating!

We stayed at the Westmark  on May 30th in room 632. It was a very nice clean, modern room with a kitchen area.  No complaints about the room at all. I read the same bad reviews you did. Thought our room was great.

Stayed there 3 nights last May prior to joining the HAL Westerdam group at same hotel for one more night prior to 3 nights in Denali then a cruise out of Seward. We absolutely loved every moment including our Westmark stay. Rooms were very comfortable and clean, great service throughout the hotel-- especially in the restaurant and bar. Several nice local restaurants (most are within walking range of the hotel)--such as The Crepery,  and the Alaska Salmon Bake. The Morris Thompson Museum and the Univ. Of Fairbanks were very interesting. Hope to do this again! 

Ok we are back from Alaska so I'm reviewing my own post!!   The stay (one night only) at the Westmark Fairbanks was GREAT!  Hotel was top notch.  We did stay in the North wing, so I can't tell you if that made a different or not.  Rooms was HUGE and clean, very pleased.  Our room had a kitchen.  Nice gift shop on site.  We ate supper at the Red Lantern there at the hotel and the food was great, not overly expensive.  Got a great night's rest, although we had to get up at 2:30 am for our shuttle to the airport.

Edited by KG2019