Is it weird that I don't want to sail from Miami??

SUSANITA

I have absolutely no desire to sail from the port of Miami! I suppose if I could get 1/2 way decent air, I might consider it, but air to Miami is always at least 30-40% more for me!!

I was considering sailing on the Valor next year, but since she's sailing from Miami, and Conquest class, I'm reconsidering. icon_frown.gif

For those of you who've sailed from this port, how is it? Why is airfare so much more to Miami?

Does anyone know where Liberty will sail from??

Suep366394@aol.com

woodstock-28.gif

NEXT UP~SENSATION 5/6/04!

MARINER~ 9/19! MIRACLE~FEB 13,2005!

Sensation.gif

Miracle.gif

http://community.webshots.com/user/upstatedon OUR CRUISE PICS!

I don't know about airfare since we drive, but I've found the Miami port to be much easier than Fort Lauderdale. We've had a couple of bad experiences with the port of Fort Lauderdale and much prefer Miami.

Have you considered flying into Fort Lauderdale and renting a car or taking a shuttle to Miami?

Cheers, Michelle P.

Jubilee 5/9/02

Fantasy 9/5/02

Millennium 12/15/02

Imagination 5/8/03

Millennium 12/14/03

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FF0033&cdt=2004;05;07;21;59;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Fascination 5/7/04

Port of Miami is VERY chaotic, with several huge ships boarding/debarking all at the same time. No one knows where to go, and everyone is in a hurry, dragging luggage, hot, cranky, etc.

I liked Port Canaveral WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better.

I'm doing San Juan this time around, but I've only been there at night as a Port of Call. Didn't seem too awful at the time, but it was different because I didn't have to go through the whole check in thing at that time.

Lido Deck Linda

dudes.gif

062802jumpie_prv.gif033102food_1_prv.gif062802drink_prv.gif082502cheers_prv.gif

Fantasy 2/6/2000

Victory 3/23/2003

Destiny 4/25/2004

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by doulasue:

For those of you who've sailed from this port, how is it? Why is airfare so much more to Miami?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Had the same problem with air - it was too expensive to Miami, so we flew into Ft. Lauderdale and saved about $100 per ticket and took the shuttle to port.

Liv...Winds are 15 knots and holding....the whole world is a drop zone!

newparach.gif

saintsinners.gif

valorvampires.gif

NCL Sky 2/02

Personally I love the Port of Miami. When there are three or four ships all departing in a row, it can be quite festive. Even from a distance. I was sitting outdoors at Bayside on a Saturday afternoon around 4 pm, watching the RCCL passengers on the Behemoth of the Seas mustering for their drill. All the little people lining up on deck in their bright orange vests, it was so CUTE!

As to airfare $, it probably depends where you're flying from. Air to Miami (from DTW) can be inexpensive or ridiculously exhorbitant. It all depends on when you want to fly, and more imporantly, when you are looking for quotes. I swear it changes minute by minute. Look at flying to FLL as a possible alternative.

Another drawback to sailing out of South Florida is that you are severely limited to the ports that a ship can visit on a 7-day cruise. It is one of the reasons that, all else being equal, I prefer sailing from SJU.

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

imgcommentary_hackstone.jpg

bagpiper_piping_md_wht.gif

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when somebody's watching.

Sue, Miami is my all time favorite port to sail out of. The port can sometimes be busy depending on how many ships are in port but they are also doing major construction at this time to take care of that. Sailing down Government Cut is a sight that you will not forget. Cars stop along McArthur parkway and blow their horns and wave as you sail towards the open sea. As Tom stated in his post, it has a festive feel to it like no other port. All those ships leaving one behind the other is an awesome sight. Spending a day in Miami for precruise is also great. Nothing like a day at Bayside Marketplace, taking a boat ride around the Miami area gets those cruise juices flowing. I have been out of FLL, Tampa, Pt. Carnaveral and Miami and IMHO Miami takes it hands down. To me sailing out of Pt. Canaveral is just downright ugly. It is easier because it is not as congested but again I love the feel of Miami for a pre-cruise.

Gordon

http://community.webshots.com/user/cruisingator

NCL Starward-86, Starship Atlantic-91, Caribe-92, Seabreeze-93, Fantasy-93, Norway-94, Celebration-94, Sensation-95, Imagination-96, Destiny-97, Celebration-98, Triumph-99, Victory-00, Majesty of the Seas-01, Fascination-01, Carnival Pride-02, Majesty of the Seas-02, Carnival Legend-02, Fantasy 7-03, Glory 9-03, Fantasy 11-03, Triumph 3/04.

Navigator of the Seas 12/04/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;12;04;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

That's what we did too - flew into Fort Lauderdale and took a shuttle to the port of Miami. At that time, I guess it was 3 years ago - the shuttle was about $50 - we still saved a ton of money!

I would definitely look into that option doulasue...

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;2;7;22;1;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Southern Caribbean Serenade 02/07/04

doulasue,

I'm not sure what you mean? Compared to what other prices?

We lived in Rochester up to 10 days ago. We flew to Miami several times for cruises and the prices were not that bad.

We even stayed the day before our cruise left. Nice area around the Port Authority.

You should try it - you might like it.

Ed

QE2 - 12/98, 09/00, 09/01, 06/03

Explorer of the Seas - 01/02

Grand Princess - 12/02

Majesty of the Seas - 01/04

Next up:

Queen Mary 2 - 11/04

http://community.webshots.com/photo/127098765/127127226tBDMQr

http://community.webshots.com/photo/127098765/127126753BjcPus

Here is a couple of pics that I took on the Triumph last month. Those cars on McArthur Parkway are actually closer than they look in the photos. You can not get a view like that sailing anywhere else out of Florida. Pt. Everglades is close but still not like Miami. icon_smile.gif

Gordon

http://community.webshots.com/user/cruisingator

NCL Starward-86, Starship Atlantic-91, Caribe-92, Seabreeze-93, Fantasy-93, Norway-94, Celebration-94, Sensation-95, Imagination-96, Destiny-97, Celebration-98, Triumph-99, Victory-00, Majesty of the Seas-01, Fascination-01, Carnival Pride-02, Majesty of the Seas-02, Carnival Legend-02, Fantasy 7-03, Glory 9-03, Fantasy 11-03, Triumph 3/04.

Navigator of the Seas 12/04/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;12;04;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

[This message was edited by cruisingator2 on 04-16-04 at 12:59 PM.]

Ed, While prices to Miami may not seem "bad", on a comparison level it's much less expensive for me to fly into Tampa, FLL, or Orlando. No matter which dates I try for, Miami has always been more expensive than those three ports. I guess that the shuttle idea isn't so bad, it would probably be equal to driving to Port Canaveral from MCO airport, right??

You all are inspiring me to not be such a chicken! I'm totally a creature of habit, and tend to stick with the "familiar".

Suep366394@aol.com

woodstock-28.gif

Sensation.gif

Miracle.gif

Sue,

You have to do what is good for you. I would hope that you don't miss any itineraries that you might like just because the ship leaves from Miami.

If you fly in to another city and "taxi" to Miami, just make sure all those costs are worth the extra to fly to Miami.

Only you know your situation. Hope you have happy sailings from wherever you depart from.

Ed

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by doulasue:

I have absolutely no desire to sail from the port of Miami! I suppose if I could get 1/2 way decent air, I might consider it, but air to Miami is always at least 30-40% more for me!!

I was considering sailing on the Valor next year, but since she's sailing from Miami, and Conquest class, I'm reconsidering. icon_frown.gif

Does anyone know where Liberty will sail from??

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fly into Lauderdale as others have suggested if Miami is toooooo pricey for your budget !

Perhaps use a fare watcher feature that many airline websites offer i.e. travelocity, etc....

Try flying from another gateway.....

Personally I have found Miami a great port to sail from with all the ships lined up ready to sail on a weekend.....sure there will be many passengers boarding, but with so many ships there, what do you expect ???

Safe Travels.......

Curtis Thorsen

YOUR Travel "angel"

Cruise & Resort Connection, Inc.

we don't mind goig to miami at all.if we fly to fll buy the time we pay for transportaion to miami it costs about the same .lots of nice areas by the port BAYSIDE market is a nice place to visit.i'm talking about if you go a day or 2 early

lieb24.gifcountdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;11;27;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

11/27/2004 CARIBBEAN PRINCESS

Miracle.gif

JimKDGQtransp.gifcruisemates1@aol.com countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;02;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500 THE MIRACLE 2-13-2005 smileytap.gifjimmy.gif

Ok here's my take on this

Ft Lauderdale, to me, is way easier if you're flying. Port Everglades is just so close to the port that it also makes catching that flight home easier too.

The Port of Miami, though, is the king of cruise ports and I think there's just an excitement in the air there, downtown, at Bayside, and not far away at South Beach that makes an experience that's just not to be missed. I feel this so strongly that we hoteled in Miami and sailed out of Ft Lauderdale on our holiday Legend cruise last year.

Don't get me wrong, we love Fort Lauderdale too but from an out-of-towners point of view its like everything has been spring-break-proofed years ago from hotels to sidewalks.

Still I'd love to live there over Miami easy.

This probably didn't help at all but if it was me, and it is frequently, I'd fly into FLL and get whatever the current popular and cost effective ground transportation from there to downtown Miami is and take it all in.

While a lot of this is up for grabs as a personal choice thing there's no denying that The Port Of Miam IS still the busiest port in the world, you haven't seen Miami unless you take in South Beach and I don't care what anybody says Bubba Gump Shrimp Co at Bayside makes a mean Coconut Shrimp!

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Carnival Victory 12/19/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

I love Miami!!!!! The Hotel Intercontinental is incredible if cruising.

Sue, Flying from my local airport is also more expensive into Miami then to Tampa, MCO, or even FLL.I prefer the ease of flying in and being in the city I am departing from especially as we take our 2 boys. This is why I have stayed away from Port Canaveral.The idea of a 40min-1 hour ride after a lengthy plane ride with a 5yr old is not appealing.I like the ease of FLL but have been unable to sail out of there due to vacation date mishaps. We are doing Tampa for the 2nd time in Feb.. I love that port but no where as spectacular as Miami.

No longer cruiseless...donations still accepted! ;-)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;2;20;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Last cruise

Sensation 2/17/03

Sue--I just checked SWA. Buffalo to FLL $178 r/t. That's not that high is it? Sheesh you are lucky. Our air from Oakland to FLL just jumped from $224 pp r/t to $375 pp r/t. Hmmmm I just might have to move east....think of all the money I could save taking cruises!!!

doris

"I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine"--Caskie Stinnett

Elation 10/20/02

Paradise 9/21/03

Star Princess 10/24/04

Hi, Sue. I really like cruising out of Miami. I don't like the airport there, but it's pretty neat to cruise out of. I agree with imlulu about staying at the Intercontinental the night before. Great way to start a vacation.

I've also flown into FLL and gone to Miami from there. It's no big deal.

My suggestion would be to try it at least once. If you don't like it after that, at least you'll know for sure.

As for airfares, there are many different sites to check and you can save money if you're willing to change planes somewhere, like Atlanta.

Host Miriam

Community Supervisor

ldrscruisemir7@aol.com

I just booked a cruise leaving from miami, and booked SouthWest into FLL (1 day before). I plan on renting a car from FLL and returning it to MIA then taking the free car rental agency shuttle to the Port of Miami. (car rental cost $55). Saves a ton of money rather than flying into Miami.

You guys are opening up a whole new world of cruising opportunity for me!! icon_smile.gif Watch, I'll try it once, and totally love it. I don't even know which ships sail from Miami, because I just usually avoid it! Thanks

Suep366394@aol.com

woodstock-28.gif

Sensation.gif

Miracle.gif

doulasue...

I HATE Galveston...parking/embarking was great, just HATE the place...Sorry..So I feel your pain..Also, to get the itinerary we want we HAVE to fly to MIAMI...

We go to Miami 2 days before....relax...cleanse the soul...Take a deep breath and just go early...trust me ...it is worth it....

Have a great cruise

On to VICTORY !!

~C

Victory 5/2004

Celebration 7/89

Triumph 6/2001

Victory 5/2002

Triumph 5/2003

Celebration 2/2004'Noro'SURVIVOR

Sue-my daughter who also lives in Rochester flies to Miami and leaves from there every year. She loves leaving from there,even though the air is more expensive. I've driven to Miami a few times to leave from there for a cruise. You should give it a try at least once. I really thought it was cool leaving from Tampa and going under the bridge,too.

Laura

Geez louise all you people make my heart bleed for you..

I leave from GRR (Grand Rapids, MI) and if I get airfare around 250 - 300 I am feeling like I got a deal.

You would think we would get cheaper fare since we have our airport named after a president...

<font SIZE="1">Click here for my Cruise Pics</font>

<font SIZE="1">***PROUD MEMBER O.A.T.C.***</font>

Sensation.gif

royalsmallwide.gif

saintsinners.gif

Miracle.gif

valorvampires.gif

<font SIZE="1">Opinions expressed by the poster are not necessarily the opinions of Cruise Critic or the Independent Traveler.

They might not even be the opinion of the poster, being he may be out of his mind at the time</font>

Atom.gif

My husband refuses to sail from Miami so that is why we always take southern Carib cruises which I do'nt mind at all as long as I am cruising!! icon_biggrin.gif but after reading the boards I might convince him to try it once and then if he really still hates it we can go back to the southern side

UNTIL WE SAIL AGAIN.......

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2005;5;8;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Archived