Ambassede Amsterdam- Beware of Bait and Switch

Hello Fellow CC'ers-

Stay far away from the Ambassede.

The Ambassede Hotel in Amsterdam quoted us 346 Euro per night for a superior room- of which we received the quote in writing on their letterhead. Upon booking the hotel we noticed the rate went up to 436 per night. After speaking with Linde at the hotel, she informed us the inital quote was a typo and that they would NOT honor the price as quoted.   I immediately alerted our friends who had already booked and received a confirmation for the 346 euro per night price.  When they checked, Linde informed them it was a typo and that the new rate would be 436 euro per night- despite receiving a confirmation email with the 346 euro per night.  We cancelled our reservations.

From our perspective, even if it were a "typo", they should still honor the reservation that was booked and confirmed. Changing the price AFTER the booking/confirmation is unscrupulous. 

PS  for those that may doubt this story- please let me know-  I'd be happy to forward you the emails to your home email.

Jim and Amy P

I don't doubt your story but a quick look on TA shows that you are the only person to complain about this, so to accuse them of "bait and switch" seems a little strong. You are one of only two one-star reviews, and the other was a problem with restaurant reservations.

Mistakes do get made and they have no obligation in law to honour an offer like that. Judging by the reviews, they seem to be an excellent and well located hotel at a reasonable price, but I have never been there so have no first-hand experience.

On 7/5/2019 at 12:46 PM, Bob++ said:

I don't doubt your story but a quick look on TA shows that you are the only person to complain about this, so to accuse them of "bait and switch" seems a little strong. You are one of only two one-star reviews, and the other was a problem with restaurant reservations.

Mistakes do get made and they have no obligation in law to honour an offer like that. Judging by the reviews, they seem to be an excellent and well located hotel at a reasonable price, but I have never been there so have no first-hand experience.

My brother-in law who is an attorney wrote that review, i did not.  we are traveling together.

It probably was a mistake rather than a bait and switch. However, it was their mistake - not yours. I believe that it is in the best interests of maintaining good customer service/relations for the hotel to honor the initial quote. JMHO