Southern Rail from Waterloo to Southampton class?

Hi 

We are ready to book rail to the port!  Waterloo is close to where we are staying. Advance ticket prices are £9/£15 coach/1st. Is there any benefit to 1st or just go with the cheap seats? Looking at a noon or later departure on a weekday - hopefully luggage will not be an issue. 

Thanks

No real advantage. A bit more room, probably less crowded ('cos most passengers will be in standard). It shouldn't be more than a 90 minute journey. Personally I wouldn't pay the extra, but your on holiday and its only an extra £6! Hang the expense!

Simon

There is very little practical difference with Southern.  With some rail companies first class includes things like guaranteed table seating, individual seating, a complimentary food and drinks service etc.  With Southern you will get slightly wider seats set slightly further apart.  And in rush hour an outside chance of actually getting a seat.  Outside of rush hour it will make no difference.  If you leave somewhere between midday and about 3pm go with the cheap seats.  If you plan to leave Waterloo between 4pm and 7pm that is rush hour. Only then might first class be worth it to avoid having to stand for the journey.  Between 5 and 7 you will probably have to stand at least part way regardless.

• Like 1

Trains between Waterloo & Southampton are operated by South-Western Railway, not Southern.

Trains to Southampton around noon are very unlikely to be crowded, except perhaps on a summer friday when some of the commuters who work in the big bad city slide away from work early.

Since I'm one of the hoi-polloi who can only dream of first-class  :classic_wink: I have no idea what it's like in one of those hallowed carriages :classic_wacko:.

But for just £6  extra, even this cheapskate would  be tempted - especially with luggage. 

More important, those £9 / £15  bucket-price tickets are only valid for the train that you book - miss it and you'll have to pay the full walk-up fare for a later train at £44 each for cattle class or £71 for first-class. I'll bet you don't agonise whether to travel first-class if that happens :classic_biggrin:

JB :classic_smile:

Thanks All!  Good advice seems like 50/50, I’ll flip a coin.  Thanks John Bull for the don’t miss the train warning.  I will be sure to build in time to be at the station to be on time.