Anxiously awaiting QM2 in LA

joeinsb

I'm a new CC poster but a frequent reader who is eagerly awaiting QM2's arrival in Los Angeles--mostly because my wife and I are booked on her Hawaii passage. We're also two cruise crazies (23 voyages on 17 ships) who plan to be standing on the jetty (actually, its a city park) when she sails into Long Beach Feb. 22.

So here's my question: any other CC posters in the same boat, :) so to speak?

And will she be here on time?

joe

I will be on the QM2 as we sail in to Los Angeles harbor. Just note- she will be sailing 'by' Long Beach harbor and the QM but not into the harbor. She is too large and will end up sailing and docking in San Pedro. If we do get in late GOOD! More time spent on board!!! I live in LA so that's fine by me. I'll wave from our balcony!

I am booked on the 3 day Mexico and the 11 day Hawaii.

On the 3 day with 4 to a room on an inside with friends. And on the 11 day in a "hull hole" balcony with my family... :p

I feel that now that the ship has made it to Rio on time the chances of us going on these trips has improved. As Long as nothing else goes wrong. I really wish Cunard would put something up on their website :confused: to assure us future passengers beyond the news realease of the 20th.

As to future scheduled voyages....

Perhaps they are still deciding themselves, because at some point they do have to fix the broken pod. :eek: I called Cunard last week and they told me all was still ago.

I also plan to be on Bluff Park for the "whistle salute". on the 22nd. Then off to the San Perdo Pier for me. ( if all is well)

All for now, keeping ones fingers crossed in Long Beach.

I want to watch the first meeting on the 22nd, but I haven't decided from where to watch. I could go watch the first meeting before work OR go into work early to watch the second meeting (which seems like it will be better...I've heard a rumor of fireworks). But I haven't decided whether to be on the QM1 or at a park.

I am booked on the 3 day Mexico and the 11 day Hawaii.

On the 3 day with 4 to a room on an inside with friends. And on the 11 day in a "hull hole" balcony with my family... :p

I feel that now that the ship has made it to Rio on time the chances of us going on these trips has improved. As Long as nothing else goes wrong. I really wish Cunard would put something up on their website :confused: to assure us future passengers beyond the news realease of the 20th.

As to future scheduled voyages....

Perhaps they are still deciding themselves, because at some point they do have to fix the broken pod. :eek: I called Cunard last week and they told me all was still ago.

I also plan to be on Bluff Park for the "whistle salute". on the 22nd. Then off to the San Perdo Pier for me. ( if all is well)

All for now, keeping ones fingers crossed in Long Beach.

I'm cheating....I've booked a cabin the 21st in QM1 (in case the traffic and/or parking lot is bad on the 22nd) :) 'course getting up at 6:30 to get topside so we can see her is going to be a little much. But, they have good coffee on board :p

Stellarchef, you've got the best vantage point of all aborad QM1. Sirwinston and ColleenC, you want to be on the point of land that extends from Shoreline Village near Parker's Lighthouse Restuarant. That's next to the downtown Long Beach Marina. You don't want to be at Bluff Park--that's a bit too far away to suit me. The only problem may be, is that the city or Cunard may have some official viewing area set up and may limit access to that little spit of land. I'm basing this on some bit of information I read somewhere, so don't take it as gospel. I'll try calling the Cunard PR lady and see if she can shed any light on the subject.

Don't know about fireworks, although I too have read this. I suspect the usual fireboat salute, whistle blowing from all ships and boats at hand, etc. We were aboard Diamond Princess on her inuagural cruise to the Mexican Riviera and received a fireboat salute upon entering Mazatlan.

I do know that at the QM2's first sailby at 7 a.m. it'll be too light for fireworks, but it may be better or the second pass, which is set for 5 p.m. We may be around for both showings, as we live only seven miles away and can actually see the Carnival terminal from our 'hood.

I'm cheating....I've booked a cabin the 21st in QM1 (in case the traffic and/or parking lot is bad on the 22nd) :) 'course getting up at 6:30 to get topside so we can see her is going to be a little much. But, they have good coffee on board :p

That's easy! Don't go to bed the night before!

make sure you take video with sound! Since they are doing a whistle blast WITH QM1'S OLD WHISTLE!

karie

I will be on board leaving on the 22nd to Mexico and cannot wait for the sail by the QM1 - I have been on QM2 once before to Carribean Jan. 2005 - it was fabulous and can't wait to be back. Live in Atlanta, GA - so I am coming a distance to do this. Have been reading everything I can on whether it is still "on" due to recent issues. Those of you taking this trip, look us up in 8094 B-5. The whistle blast is extremely loud!

I will be on board leaving on the 22nd to Mexico and cannot wait for the sail by the QM1 - I have been on QM2 once before to Carribean Jan. 2005 - it was fabulous and can't wait to be back. Live in Atlanta, GA - so I am coming a distance to do this. Have been reading everything I can on whether it is still "on" due to recent issues. Those of you taking this trip, look us up in 8094 B-5. The whistle blast is extremely loud!

"Garden Bunny,

Were you on the cruise that got Tortola instead of Costa Rica or the one that got St. Kitts instead of Costa Rica? I ask because we were on board in Jan 05 too :)

Stellrchef: I was on the Jan. 15 out of Ft. Lauderdale - we got changed from San Juan to St. Kitts - at the time, thought it wasn't a bad swap - but looking back on it, probably would have enjoyed San Juan - we took the Sugar Train in St. Kitts - nice, but a little too long for me.

New question - I would like to do the QM2 Fall Splendour to Quebec with my sister and brother in law - they have limited funds and can't go that high - Does anyone know if the prices to book on board for another trip are a really good savings vs. early booking fares in the brochure?

Stellrchef: I was on the Jan. 15 out of Ft. Lauderdale - we got changed from San Juan to St. Kitts - at the time, thought it wasn't a bad swap - but looking back on it, probably would have enjoyed San Juan - we took the Sugar Train in St. Kitts - nice, but a little too long for me.

New question - I would like to do the QM2 Fall Splendour to Quebec with my sister and brother in law - they have limited funds and can't go that high - Does anyone know if the prices to book on board for another trip are a really good savings vs. early booking fares in the brochure?

Perhaps this may help with your "book on board" question:

http://www.cunard.com/Cunarder/default.asp?Active=Boo

How long does the trip take from LA to Hawaii? Is it considered a crossing? We've been wanting to cross the Atlantic on the QM2 to NY, but may be moving to Hawaii. Now I have to consider maybe flying the first two legs and cruising the last one out to Hawaii. *sigh* Decisions, decisions!!

Thanks!

Garden bunny,

We were on the same trip :-) Sorry, I got my replaced ports of call mixed up in my last email. Did you, perchance, see the lecturer in the planetarium? Not the Harrison Ford narrated show. The live lecturer who did the show on the dome.

How long does the trip take from LA to Hawaii? Is it considered a crossing? We've been wanting to cross the Atlantic on the QM2 to NY, but may be moving to Hawaii. Now I have to consider maybe flying the first two legs and cruising the last one out to Hawaii. *sigh* Decisions, decisions!!

Thanks!

It isn't a crossing. It's 11 days roundtrip. I don't think they let you get off to stay in Hawaii, because the foreign port stopped at is on the way back.

It isn't a crossing. It's 11 days roundtrip. I don't think they let you get off to stay in Hawaii, because the foreign port stopped at is on the way back.

Not only that, the ship has been full for quite some time and

there is a long waiting list.

CurlyQ,

You are probably right, but the Cunard web site is still showing it as a 'Special Offer'......

http://www.cunard.com/OnOffer_Details.asp?ID=38

Peter

Yes darling, I noticed that it has been indicating that for quite some time.

However I know that there is a waiting list still because we're on it. :)

Stellrchef - We only saw one show in the Planetarium and I don't remember which one - but not a live lecture. We were so busy trying to see and do we were lucky to get that one in. My cousin and I are doing this West Coast break and I think we may try to focus more on the Spa things this time.

Kyle,

Great site for info... But I'm a little confused.... How can she be close to the Queen Mary for the rendezvous if she's in the San Pedro Harbor?? Isn't that the Los Angeles harbor?? I'm planning to go for the 5pm meeting but not sure where the best place is.... Could be quite crowded.... Like the Queen Mary 1 hotel idea.....;)

San Pedro and Long Beach Harbors are very close to each other. My dad used to keep his boat in San Pedro, and we would tulle over to Long Beach for lunch all the time. We used to tie up at a Shoreline Village, which is one of the recommended viewing spots.

The QM2 will pass the QM in Long Beach on her way in from South America at 7 am. Then she will pull into San Pedro, disembark, embark, and head back out for Ensenada. At 5pm, the QM2 will again pass the QM with much celebration.

The best place to watch the QM2 will probably be aboard QM. But if you want pictures of the two of them in the same shot, you should look at the link Kyle posted. At the bottom of that page, there's a listing of the best places to see the meetup.

http://www.thequeenmarysmeet.com/EVENT_DETAIL/index.html#

ETA: I just reread your post and saw you meant "least crowded spot." I can't help you there. I'm not sure where the crowding will be a problem.

I am on the West Coast Break - long before the pod issue, Cunard notified us that the time to leave was changed to 4 PM (for the original 5 PM) so, not sure if all that info has been updated for the viewing - not knowing the area, I wouldn't think it would take until 5 PM to pass QM - Just thought I would pass the info along.

I am on the West Coast Break - long before the pod issue, Cunard notified us that the time to leave was changed to 4 PM (for the original 5 PM) so, not sure if all that info has been updated for the viewing - not knowing the area, I wouldn't think it would take until 5 PM to pass QM - Just thought I would pass the info along.

I'm just going to stay the day in one spot then. Because I'm not sure WHAT'S happening now! :p

Archived