Tips for Inside Passage/Glacier Viewing

amisup

Any tips for maximizing on the days when our NCL cruise will get to Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier? Is it true that the park rangers get on board and provide information? Where does this usually occur on board?

Are you on a one-way tour (ie Vancouver to Seward or reverse)?  I'm asking because I don't think any of the round-trip NCL cruises go to Hubbard Glacier but maybe the one-way cruises do.  In my experience (two NCL cruises that weren't one-way), when you're in Glacier Bay it really doesn't which side your cabin is on because they will basically park the ship in front of 2-3 glaciers then make the ship revolve around in place for a couple revolutions.  You should be able to get a nice look wherever you're located.  But, you'll probably want to get out and move around.  On the NCL Pearl Glacier Bay day was the only time they opened the deck at the bow of the ship - that was my favorite location because you're relatively close to the water and where you can easily move to the port or starboard side.  Both trips I expected the bow deck to be packed but it never really had too many people on it (30-40 at the max) and at times there might only be 5-6 people.  I don't know how they might handle Hubbard Glacier.  The first time in Glacier Bay the weather was absolutely perfect - about 55 degrees, blue skies and glass smooth water.  The second time the temp was in the 40s, sort of foggy and drizzling rain part of the day.  It was still a very interesting day and we were able to clearly see the glaciers.  Sometimes I liked being on my cabin's balcony but I basically spent the entire day on the bow deck.  On the Pearl there is a large enclosed observation area on the next to top deck where many people were able to view everything in comfort but one had to get there early so they had a seat if they wanted one.  If you got up someone would probably take it.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Although the numbers have been decreasing the last several years, you will be traveling through a humpback whale feeding area as you enter Glacier Bay. You will have increased chances of seeing them by being on deck or in a forward viewing area an hour or so before entering the bay. There’s no guarantee. We only saw a couple on two trips this year in that area.

• Like 1