Tour from Monte Carlo to Nice/Eze

e-cruiser

13 hours ago, e-cruiser said:

We will be arriving in Monte Carlo on a cruise and would like a tour to Nice /Eze for a few hours from the port.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Nice is relatively easy to get to on your own (using the #100 bus).  If you enjoy walking you can walk from the pier to the nearest bus stop in about 15 min.  The bus to Nice runs every few minutes and costs 2 Euros (one way).  Once in Nice you can use your feet or local buses to get around.   Accessing Eze Village is a bit more complicated if using buses.  Other then paying for an expensive tour the other option would be to simply rent a car in Monte Carlo (we have done this a few times) which gives you the flexibility to drive just about anywhere in the region on your own schedule.

I should mention that it is also possible to take the train between Monte Carlo and Nice.  The fare will be in the 6-8 Euro range (one way) but the train station is pretty far from the pier so you would probably want to use a taxi.  Personally, we prefer using the #100 bus because its more convenient, comfy, runs more frequently then the train, and gives you a better view during the approximately 50 min ride.

As to an itinerary in Nice, we always recommend that folks head directly to the Flower Museum which is in Old Town on the side closest to the sea.  You can browse the stalls, enjoy a café break, and catch your breath.  One can then explore some of the small streets of the adjacent Old Town and then walk over (or grab a bus) to the famous Promanade for more walking, browsing, shopping, etc.  If you want to spend more time in Nice, the city also has several decent museums.

As to Eze, it is a relatively compact walled town with some decent views (on the side facing the sea).  Eze has become very touristy with some OK galleries, restaurants, and some tacky tourist junk stores.  It is still a cute place to visit (and perhaps have lunch) but just about everyone you see in Eze will be a tourist.  

Hank

A small correction to Hank's rare mistype - it's the Flower Matket, not Museum 😁

Also, if you rent a car, the most convenient parking is the underground carpark in the Quai des Etats-Unis (which is the name of the Promenade des Anglais in the Old Nice area) You will see the "P" sign on the street. The pedestrian exit is a very short block away from the Flower Market. 

[Hi, Hank. Enjoy your next cruise. Hope to read your comments. We are traveling in Spain for a month.  And planning our next cruise.]

7 hours ago, marazul said:

A small correction to Hank's rare mistype - it's the Flower Matket, not Museum 😁

Also, if you rent a car, the most convenient parking is the underground carpark in the Quai des Etats-Unis (which is the name of the Promenade des Anglais in the Old Nice area) You will see the "P" sign on the street. The pedestrian exit is a very short block away from the Flower Market. 

[Hi, Hank. Enjoy your next cruise. Hope to read your comments. We are traveling in Spain for a month.  And planning our next cruise.]

Thanks for correcting my post :).  I think it was the martini doing the typing :).  We are actually somewhat excited about that next cruise (Alaska) and trying a new line (for us).  We have so much fun trying new lines that we are starting to think we are strange folks.  Seems that many more cruisers always like to stick to the same one or two lines.

Hank

17 hours ago, e-cruiser said:

Thank you Hank and Marazul.

Is there a place in Nice where we can store our luggage for the day?

Thanks again.

I believe the train station has facilities.

If you rent a car, leave everything in the trunk and back up the car against the wall in the parking garage.

• 1 year later...

I booked a trip with Trip Advisor for Èze. It was reasonably priced but wished I could of spent more time there exploring. The tour was of Èze, the perfume factory and Monaco where we saw the changing of the guard. 

I am catching up blogging on last years vacay and here is the link below. What happened was I booked a 1/2 day. But their were 2 people going on to Nice so the guide asked us if we wanted to go free. And we did! 

https://travlintheworld.blogspot.com/