Cunard QM2 to give pax full refund!

SunnieD

Just heard on GMA that the QM2 passengers are getting a full refund for their cruise. Great PR move on the part of Cunard. Give the pax a chance to go on another cruise and not have the experience ruin everything. WOO HOO! I am so happy for them! They did the right thing!

Just heard on GMA that the QM2 passengers are getting a full refund for their cruise. Great PR move on the part of Cunard. Give the pax a chance to go on another cruise and not have the experience ruin everything. WOO HOO! I am so happy for them! They did the right thing!
Was that a full refund or a 100% credit towards a future cruise?

GMA said full refund. I hope they get it. For the kind of $$$ that the pax laid out I would say they deserve. I don't mind if the itin changes and I've paid a relatively inexpensive rate but from what I've read there are people on this particular cruise that paid as much as $40k, that's a lot of moola not to get what you were promised especially when it was due to poor human skills.

Just my 2 cents

there are people on this particular cruise that paid as much as $40k, that's a lot of moola not to get what you were promised especially when it was due to poor human skills.

Why is it so expensive to go on this ship? $40k seems like an awful lot. Please educate me on the ship.

Where can I book one of these cruises that let's me on a ship for nine days with food, entertainment and all sorts of activities and then gives me all my money back because it didn't stop at three ports along the way? I guess that the squeaking wheel once again gets the grease, but I fear that this will only up the demands from everyone whose cruise experiences the slightest glitch. :rolleyes:

Wasn't it a 28 day cruise?

The cruise is sold in segments. The segment in question was, I believe, nine days from Ft. Lauderdale to Rio de Janeiro. $40,000 may have been for a more lengthy segment of for the entire cruise and was probably in a suite. It seems to me that if someone paid that amount, they paid a premium primarily for the accommodations onboard the ship and not for the ports it was to visit. You can take a lot of regular cruises that visit St. Kitts and Barbados for $40,000. Getting a full refund but still enjoying the luxury accommodations on the QM2 is quite a good deal in my estimation.

Not being a great defender of the various cruise lines, I say good for the passengers who were smart enough to carry this through to their satisfaction.

For those going from Fort Lauderdale to Rio, there were NO ports. All were cancelled. They were offered 50% refund which they felt wasn't good enough.

They were finally offered 100% plus air fare, or 50% refund plus 75% off another cruise and air fare.

Personally, once in a while I don't mind if they miss a port for various legitimate reasons, but we are the consumers and we do have certain rights. This nonsense that everyone spouts about read your contract is crap. However, as long as the majority sit back and accept sub standard treatment from the cruise lines (and I'm referring to all of them) they will continue to dish it out.

The refund was for those disembarking in Rio. The ones who are slated to continue the journey have the option of staying on or getting off and getting refund. I can not imagine this cruise had been much fun after all that happened. The crew was frustrated with the pax complaining, the pax were frustrated with the lack of compassion from the crew. The only thing they saw for days was ocean, ocean, ocean. When I book a cruise, the important thing to me is where it is going first, then the ship next. If I were on Freedom, it may have been OK, but a stuffy ship like the QM2 with nowhere to escape, no way. What about the interior rooms? That would have killed me to not even be able to sit on a balcony away from others. I think they have done the right thing in this case, and I don't think others would follow suit unless it was an awful situation as this was. When the airlines screw up that big, they still take you where you are going, and give a round trip for future use. Most would have accepted that as well.

Where can I book one of these cruises that let's me on a ship for nine days with food, entertainment and all sorts of activities and then gives me all my money back because it didn't stop at three ports along the way? I guess that the squeaking wheel once again gets the grease, but I fear that this will only up the demands from everyone whose cruise experiences the slightest glitch. :rolleyes:

I hear ya Bill. Wish I would have been compensated like that for my cancelled Enchantment cruise. I never got on the ship. At least they were being fed and entertained. I lost my airfare (had insurance but they wouldn't cover it) and got to stay in a hotel without water or electricity until I could get a flight back home. Got a refund and 25% off on another cruise to be taken by the end of 2006. Maybe I will be invited to dine at the Captain's table on my upcoming cruise or be upgraded to a suite to make up for it, LOL!

The refund was for those disembarking in Rio. The ones who are slated to continue the journey have the option of staying on or getting off and getting refund. I can not imagine this cruise had been much fun after all that happened. The crew was frustrated with the pax complaining, the pax were frustrated with the lack of compassion from the crew. The only thing they saw for days was ocean, ocean, ocean. When I book a cruise, the important thing to me is where it is going first, then the ship next. If I were on Freedom, it may have been OK, but a stuffy ship like the QM2 with nowhere to escape, no way. What about the interior rooms? That would have killed me to not even be able to sit on a balcony away from others. I think they have done the right thing in this case, and I don't think others would follow suit unless it was an awful situation as this was. When the airlines screw up that big, they still take you where you are going, and give a round trip for future use. Most would have accepted that as well.

Have you checked out the deckplans and the facilities offered on the QM2? Those people who paid $40,000 weren't exactly suffering during their ordeal, although the heated atmosphere that developed couldn't have been very pleasant for passengers and crew alike. And those in inside rooms didn't have to stay cooped up in them. There are plenty of quiet spots throughout the ship, many of them outside. Nowadays all that most airlines offer for their high prices is transportation - not the meals, entertainment, activities etc. available to everyone on a cruise ship. While you and I might find the atmosphere on the QM2 a bit too stuffy for our tastes, those who book on her generally know what the ship is like and it apparently matches their tastes. Obviously they never expected to encounter the situation they found themselves in, but just as obviously, Cunard isn't likely to have expected to have this sort of a problem. I think that they made out extremely well in spite of any inconveniences.

I see your point, Bill. My heartstrings were pulled for those looking for "the once in a lifetime" experience and would not have gotten it from this one. The ship is beautiful, but so are the ports they missed was all I was trying to say. I can understand a lot people being upset. Cunard could never have expected such problems. No one knows when an accident may happen. They should have thought it through and let those who did not wish to continue off in FLL with a credit, refund, or whatever.

Archived