Advice for the Cheap

needsomesun

We have booked a Carnival cruise for the first week in April, and one of our stops will be in Costa Maya. We have not been here before and, frankly, I don't want to spend a bunch of cash (for my family of 5) on an excursion. Two years ago, we did the same cruise, which at that time went to Calica and Cozumel). In Cozumel, we just hopped a taxi over to Paradise Beach and had a great (and relatively inexpensive) time. Anybody have any great ideas for a similar DIY excursion in Costa Maya?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

We were in Costa Maya on Jan 4 with our family of six. The fishing village of Mahajual is where you want to go. When you dock there are taxis or buses at the back of the pier area taking you to the town for $3.00.

In town you can sit on the beach at one of the restaurants and eat lunch and drink very inexpensively. Beers are $2.00 and big margaritas $4.00. We really enjoyed this place. Food is fairly inexpensive.

From what you hear on these boards you will either love it or hate it. If you like a fairly primitive area that is beautiful then you will love it. If you are a Disney World type of person then don't go.

We didn't encounter the trouble with being hassled at the shops. They would ask but didn't bother me. I guess if that kind of thing bothers you then don't shop.

This was definately our favorite port.

Archived