Early morning flight out of Athens Airport

Jack E Dawson

My wife and I are on the Empires of the Mediterranean - Viking Sea voyage in April of next year that disembarks in Athens. We have arranged our own flights (using points) back to Chicago on Swiss Air with a change of planes in Zurich. Unfortunately the first flight (ATH-ZRH) departs at 6:30AM. Can anyone tell me what time Athens security and/or Swiss Air open in the morning. Ideally, we would like to check in and drop off our bags at 5:00AM, 90 minutes before flight time. 

Thanks

Jack

9 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

My wife and I are on the Empires of the Mediterranean - Viking Sea voyage in April of next year that disembarks in Athens. We have arranged our own flights (using points) back to Chicago on Swiss Air with a change of planes in Zurich. Unfortunately the first flight (ATH-ZRH) departs at 6:30AM. Can anyone tell me what time Athens security and/or Swiss Air open in the morning. Ideally, we would like to check in and drop off our bags at 5:00AM, 90 minutes before flight time. 

Thanks

Jack

I can't speak specifically to Swiss Air, but there are many early morning flights out of Athens and I don't think you'll have any problems checking in around 5:00 a.m.  We had a 6:10 a.m. flight out this past April on Air France and used the Viking transfer.   They had us there by 4:30 a.m., as I recall, and we checked right in. 

SwissAir website states check-in counter opens 2 hours prior at Athens.

https://www.swiss.com/us/en/prepare/check-in/checkin-times#    

How are you transporting from port to airport--at that hour I am guessing taxi which is 40 minute ride?

Personally--we always arrive 2 hours prior for international flights, unless someplace like Madrid where they advise 3 hours. 

You could call SwissAir and confirm the check-in counter and recommended check-in time. Also see if you can check-in online and if that will help, but not sure if they would have a self-check kiosk for bags that early in the AM.

Good information, thank you both. 

We are planning a cab to the airport. Maybe schedule for 4:00AM which would allow for an arrival of closer to 2 hours before flight time. We are staying at the Athens Hilton. Not sure where that is in relationship to the airport but I'm sure the Concierge can advise us and arrange for a cab at the appropriate time. Hopefully there will be some good Greek coffee to get us going that early! We normally steer clear of early morning flights, especially International one's, but this was one of the few saver-points options that had only one connection, a comfortable layover time and still got us back to Chicago at a decent hour. 

Jack

You may want to check FlyerTalk or TripAdvisor for Athens airport specific info--may have some guidance regarding security lines and lounge access if you have status on OneWorld or StarAlliance or Priority Pass.

I sympathize with the early AM flight--sometimes you have to take them to get the award tickets.

Thanks. I'll check both sites for airpot info.

My wife and I are both Star Alliance Gold but I just assumed that the lounges would not be open that early. I imagine that we will start boarding by 6:00AM. We do have a 4 hour layover in Zurich and will hit the lounge there for sure.

Jack

3 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Thanks. I'll check both sites for airpot info.

My wife and I are both Star Alliance Gold but I just assumed that the lounges would not be open that early. I imagine that we will start boarding by 6:00AM. We do have a 4 hour layover in Zurich and will hit the lounge there for sure.

Jack

You should have priority check-in and Gold Track through security in Athens. Although--check to see the hours they are available.