Upgrade question in the QGs....

gingagrant

We have booked out first Transatlantic on the QM2.  Currently in a Q6, but we have the opportunity to get in to a Q5 for a few hundred dollars more.  We are trying to figure out if it is worth the up charge for the Q5 and if will increase our chances for a possible upgrade by Cunard to a Q4 or higher.  Does anyone have any experience, insight, or suggestions?  (It’s to celebrate DH’s 50th).

As far as I can tell the only difference between a Q5 and Q6 is location. We had a Q6 near the front of deck 9 and I actually thought it was a better room than the Q5's. Our room had an unrestricted view from the balcony while the Q5's overlooked the roofs of the lifeboats. But if you have issues walking you might be better off with a more centrally located Q5 cabin.

We've had both on several crossings. There is absolutely no discernable difference. You might even end up with the room next door after having paid extra. It's not as if the ship is prone to bouncing along the waves, it doesn't feel as though it's moving.

I certainly wouldn't waste money on a Q6 to Q5 upgrade. Your chances of a better upgrade are slim and I would not be expecting one.

Stewart

3 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

We've had both on several crossings. There is absolutely no discernable difference. You might even end up with the room next door after having paid extra. It's not as if the ship is prone to bouncing along the waves, it doesn't feel as though it's moving.

I certainly wouldn't waste money on a Q6 to Q5 upgrade. Your chances of a better upgrade are slim and I would not be expecting one.

Stewart

Fully concur.

Stick with what you've got. On our last crossing we'd booked an amazing deal on a 'Q6 guarantee' and ended up in a Q5...

See my review...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/01/02/queen-mary-2-remastered-trans-atlantic/

You might check to see if there is a Q4 available for your crossing, If not don't waste your money. There are only six Q4s and they go fast. But never say never. Early in her life I was upgraded to a Q4 from a Q5 twice. Also to a Q3 (no balcony, and you have to draw the shades at sunset) so not again, and three times to a Q2, the Holyrood Suite. in the Last few years no upgrades, so I book what I would be comfortable in and leave it at that. 

4 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Fully concur.

Stick with what you've got. On our last crossing we'd booked an amazing deal on a 'Q6 guarantee' and ended up in a Q5...

I agree too - when I booked my upcoming TA there was a choice of a guarantee Q6 or only cabin 9002 - I was concerned this may be a bit noisy being so near to the Commodore club and a bit more bouncy being near to the front.

Q5s were £400pp more expensive so I went for the guarantee, I have just got my Cabin assignment and its a deck 9 Q5 back near the suites at the rear - very happy with the upgrade and the £££ saving !

Edited by Se1lad

1 minute ago, gingagrant said:

We actually have a Q6 with a room number - it wasn’t just a category guarantee.  It would be moving to a Q5 with a room number - not a guarantee.

About the only way to potentially get an upgrade would be to book a Q5 guarantee. 

Edited by Bigmike911

I would stay with the Q6 unless it is the one close to Churchills (9001 I think) as the smoke can carry along the corridor a little and you may get some smells. 

We have had 9013 a couple of times (the last Q6 before they move to Q5s) and 9019 and there was no difference, except 9019 had an adjoining door). They were both over lifeboats with no view downwards whereas those nearer to the front don't have that issue, neither do those aft QG cabins (which in the past were Q6's but changed to Q5s when cabin numbers got reclassified).

As long as you are not prone to seasickness, I would stick with the Q6.