Monarch of the Seas - Will I reget

Hi

I have just booked a cruise for May 8th on the Monarch of the Seas from CA. Never been there so we are doing a couple days before and after. Will I reget this ship and cruise? Not sure what to expect on a short 4 day cruise. Can anyone help me fell better about it.

I have just booked a cruise for May 8th on the Monarch of the Seas from CA. Never been there so we are doing a couple days before and after. Will I reget this ship and cruise? Not sure what to expect on a short 4 day cruise. Can anyone help me fell better about it.

Okay...First, I was on the Monarch in January 2004 for a 3-nighter...And I have just decided to book another for this coming April 7...So, you can tell I like it just fine...Apparently, the ship has just been "rehabbed" so, my guess is it will be pretty nice...For a "short" cruise experience, I don't think you'll find too many nicer...

OTOH, there are things I don't like (I am trying to be pretty honest here, so I may tell you some things you don't want to hear--but, just know that overall, I am very positive about this and I recommend you go)...First and foremost, the problem with ANY 3 or 4 night cruise is that they're just too danged short!!! You get on the ship and, before you know it, you're getting off...Obviously, though, not everyone has the time or the budget for a long cruise--any ANY cruise is better than no cruise...

Second thing I don't like is that with such a short time, you can't get too far from the embarkation/debarkation port, so that limits the itinerary and keeps you away from better ports--not that there's anything wrong with Catalina/San Diego/Ensenada...Since you're from Michigan and haven't been here before, it's not a bad selection for you...For those of us who live here, Catalina is only 26 miles away and we drive to San Diego all the time...and Ensenada is not nearly as nice a Mexican port as Puerto Vallarta or Cabo--the ones you get to visit on a 7-nighter...Cabo and PV are real resort cities with some beautiful attractions, Ensenada is more of a place to shop for junk and visit the local rowdy bars... That said, there are some worthwhile things to do in Ensenada--last time, we took the Winery tour--which we enjoyed...and they also have a nice little town tour with a Folkloric show-and none of the excursions are all that pricey...

Catalina is a beautiful little island and San Diego has lots of things to see and do (It's just that for us locals, we don't need to take a cruise to go there...but, for you, it should make for a nice day...).

As to the ship itself, the cabins are, for the most part, quite small...but, if like us, you basically just use them to sleep and change clothes, they'll do...They don't have much storage space...but, with a short cruise, you can live with that--Don't pack too much...

The food is good (like any other RCCL ship), as is the entertainment--and they do jampack a lot of activities and entertainment into the cruise...You'll never be wanting for something to do...

As to a couple of days before the cruise and after here in LA, a lot depends on where you are staying, whether you'll have a rental car and what you want to do...Cars are pretty much essential here--public transportation is completely substandard...and distances are far...But, if you've never been here, you won't regret spending some time here...There's a little of something for everyone...just plan it out well...Disney? The movie studios? Hollywood? The Getty? Rodeo Drive? Whatever you want...

Any questions, just ask...

I am sure you weill enjoy both the cruise and LA...Have fun...

We went with three other couples and had so much fun that we booked on board for this September. We have been on a couple of cruises :) and I would have to say this one had the liveliest pool deck!! It was a great time. The guys went golfing while the girls hit the spa and it was wonderful.

Misty

You don't say if you're doing the 4-night or 3-night. I did a 4-night in December and really loved the ship. She's smaller and older than the other ships I've been on, but she was perfect for a short, port-intensive cruise (no sea days on the 4-night). My friend boarded, for a 3-night cruise, as I was disembarking. She says that the atmosphere is a bit more of a party-cruise (it's a weekend cruise), but she had a great time, also.

I liked it so much that I booked another 4-night with my DH (who couldn't come in December) and my parents (who'll be taking their first cruise).

You should note that the lower level cabins are pretty small. However, that said, how much time do you spend in your cabin, anyway. Usually, I'm either showering, dressing or looking at the inside of my eyeballs (sleeping). Frankly, it's a great ship for a real value. You can get all the perks of a suite with a JS, at a very low price. If you don't mind an inside, teeny cabin, you can't beat the value. And the ports pretty nice.

Don't forget to visit Disneyland, while you're in Southern CA. The 50th Anniversary Celebration is so much fun. The fireworks are the best ever. I grew up at Disneyland and I had the best time ever!

Also, have a great cruise. I think you'll really enjoy yourself. Don't miss Dueling Pianos in Boleros Lounge! ~ Lorna

Don't worry. You will have a great time. She was just in dry dock so she is a clean and spiffy for you. I have done the 4 day cruise on another cruise line from L.A. since I live here, and I had a great time. And the Monarch is much better that that other cruise ship I was on. Have fun!

Okay...First, I was on the Monarch in January 2004 for a 3-nighter...And I have just decided to book another for this coming April 7...So, you can tell I like it just fine...Apparently, the ship has just been "rehabbed" so, my guess is it will be pretty nice...For a "short" cruise experience, I don't think you'll find too many nicer...

OTOH, there are things I don't like (I am trying to be pretty honest here, so I may tell you some things you don't want to hear--but, just know that overall, I am very positive about this and I recommend you go)...First and foremost, the problem with ANY 3 or 4 night cruise is that they're just too danged short!!! You get on the ship and, before you know it, you're getting off...Obviously, though, not everyone has the time or the budget for a long cruise--any ANY cruise is better than no cruise...

Second thing I don't like is that with such a short time, you can't get too far from the embarkation/debarkation port, so that limits the itinerary and keeps you away from better ports--not that there's anything wrong with Catalina/San Diego/Ensenada...Since you're from Michigan and haven't been here before, it's not a bad selection for you...For those of us who live here, Catalina is only 26 miles away and we drive to San Diego all the time...and Ensenada is not nearly as nice a Mexican port as Puerto Vallarta or Cabo--the ones you get to visit on a 7-nighter...Cabo and PV are real resort cities with some beautiful attractions, Ensenada is more of a place to shop for junk and visit the local rowdy bars... That said, there are some worthwhile things to do in Ensenada--last time, we took the Winery tour--which we enjoyed...and they also have a nice little town tour with a Folkloric show-and none of the excursions are all that pricey...

Catalina is a beautiful little island and San Diego has lots of things to see and do (It's just that for us locals, we don't need to take a cruise to go there...but, for you, it should make for a nice day...).

As to the ship itself, the cabins are, for the most part, quite small...but, if like us, you basically just use them to sleep and change clothes, they'll do...They don't have much storage space...but, with a short cruise, you can live with that--Don't pack too much...

The food is good (like any other RCCL ship), as is the entertainment--and they do jampack a lot of activities and entertainment into the cruise...You'll never be wanting for something to do...

As to a couple of days before the cruise and after here in LA, a lot depends on where you are staying, whether you'll have a rental car and what you want to do...Cars are pretty much essential here--public transportation is completely substandard...and distances are far...But, if you've never been here, you won't regret spending some time here...There's a little of something for everyone...just plan it out well...Disney? The movie studios? Hollywood? The Getty? Rodeo Drive? Whatever you want...

Any questions, just ask...

I am sure you weill enjoy both the cruise and LA...Have fun...

Wow, that was a great way to explain the Monarch experience. I have yet to go on her but have done the quickie on the Majesty. I grew up in Torrance (LA) so agree on SanDiego, Catalina & Ensenada. Well written :D

Since you have the time before & after that will just enhance the experience. I recently took a trip back and here is my review on what to do pre/post cruise.

Rental Car a must, Good Map with someone to read it while you drive, even more important!! These freeways are intense, don't think you will just look at the map along route it doesn't work.

Universal with a VIP pass is fun and worth the extra money spent for the VIP pass. Don't miss the Waterworld show, most amazing outdoor show ever. Shrek 4D movie is a blast too.

Pinks- You must eat there, down the street a bit from Johnny Rockets:D I have a few picture of it in my links below. You will see it on the travel channel, so worth finding the time to get there. I had the Ozzy Dog (after Ozzy Osborne) Spicy Polish Dog, Nacho Cheese, American Cheese, grilled Onions, guacamole, and chopped tomatoes. You can't be a lady eating here, dig in with all ya got. Daughter had the Lord of the Rings Dog - 10" Stretch Dog speared through onion rings & BBQ sauce, yum too. Most dogs around $3, cheap eats!!

Aquarium of the Pacific - Amazing place to really see underwater life. The jellyfish area is too cool with its florescent lights on them while you look at them in the dark. Shark/Sting Ray tanks outside you get to pet the sharks or stingrays without even getting in the water, to cool. Bird area buy some nectar for $1 and you will have birds everywhere for great photo ops.

Olvera Street- Can be hard to find a place to park just look for gas stations or parking lots around the area. Neat place and will continue your Mexico flavor.

Clogging up the cruise board enough. Enjoy your cruise.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Aquarium of the Sea

Thanks to all you you for the respones. I think I can now have a nice time. Question about the weather in May? How hot? What to wear?

We will most likely be coming with one or two couples that my husband works with. He lived in CA for about a 2 months while working for a LA company so he kinda has an idea of the area. We just went to Disney in FL with our 5 yr old in Sept for a week so probley wont do the Disney thing again, not sure. But may want to spend time doing other more adult things.

Thanks for the great ideas. I have printed off to look at.

...weather in May? How hot? What to wear?

...may want to spend time doing other more adult things.

The weather in May is near ideal...not too hot, likely 70s to low 80s at the hottest...the "rainy season", what there is of it here, is likely past...should be dry and sunny with ZERO humidity...You don't need to bring any coats or rain gear...maybe a sweater or sweatshirt in case it gets a little cooler at night or for the airconditioning on the ship. Dress comfortably.

As to some more "adult " things, consider the Getty Museum in Brentwood as well as the Getty Villa in Pacific Palisades (they call it Malibu, but it's really in Pacific Palisades...I know, I grew up there and my parents still live directly next door to J Paul Getty's old house-which is right behind the "Villa"). In any event, the "Getty Center" is off the 405 in Sepulveda pass, just north of Westwood, and houses all of the paintings. The museum is just a few years old and is an amazing piece of architecture, not to mention the art collection. The "Getty Villa" is off Pacific Coast Highway between Sunset Boulevard and Topanga Canyon. It was built in the 70s (boy, were my parents mad...who needs the traffic in what was a quiet residential area) and is modeled after an old villa in Pompei. It was closed for several years for renovations and JUST REOPENED. It houses Getty's antiquities collections.

Other attractions on the "West Side" include Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills (personally, I don't understand it...it's just a bunch of too fancy, overpriced stores), the Venice Beach Boardwalk (better in the height of summer when all the crazies are out, but an interesting walk anytime) and, for dinner and an evening out, head to the Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica (it's an outdoor, pedestrians only promenade with shops and restaurants and it's really busy with activity at night).

Call or write ahead to the TV studios for tickets to a taping of a show...NBC is in Burbank, CBS is in the Fairfax District. Some shows, like "Wheel of Fortune" tape at Sony Studios in Culver City. Next to CBS Studios is a really outstanding new shopping area called the "Grove" near the old Farmer's Market. If you go there, I really recommend "Wood Ranch" BBQ for dinner. Or, for a true California landmark, Cantor's on Fairfax...Cantor's is an OLD Jewish Deli mostly known for the large number of celebrities that hang out there including a large number of rock stars. NBC is not far from Universal City and Universal Studios and there's the Universal "City Walk" (shops and restaurants) which is lively at night with activity. For an interesting restaurant experience in the Universal City area, head down the hill from the Universal complex to Miceli's on Cahuenga...Old fashioned Italian food with an incredible stage show put on by the singing waiters:

http://losangeles.citysearch.com/profile/54465/hollywood_ca/miceli_s.html

Hollywood proper is sort of scuzzy, but most tourists seem to want to visit Mann's (nee Grauman's) Chinese Theater for the famous footprints...and of course there's the "stars" in the pavement along Hollywood Boulevard...

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time going clear downtown, even for Olvera Street...Yes, the buildings are "historical", but here in LA, "history" only goes back to the 1770s...and the "Mexican" experience there is pretty phony--save it for Ensenada...

Good luck and have fun...

Check our weather a day or so before leaving home, it is not always sunny and beautiful as most people think. Especially our springs, many dreary days can happen then. Ever heard of June gloom? Well, it can happen in May, too.

We've been on Monarch 3 times now. The 4 dayer was quite a bit different than the weekend trip and I prefer the 4 day much more.

I happen to love San Diego, we live about an hour or so north of there and love to go for long weekends. There is so much, we always find something new to do. If it is your first trip to San Diego, do yourselves a favor and go on the Old Town Trolley to tour the city, you can get on and off at several locations. http://www.historictours.com/sandiego/default.htm

Catalina is a gem, go on an interior tour if you can. The town is extremely crowded on cruise ship days, since it is so small. We're not vacation shoppers, so we stay out of there, but it is only a short block from the tender dock, so an easy place to visit.

We have stayed aboard ship in Ensenada and not regretted it. Our last trip down there was this past November, we went ashore since we were with friends this trip. It's no big deal, I won't be getting off the ship there again, unless I'm on a tour that takes me away from the town.

The ship itself will be smaller with a little less to offer than the ships you have been on in the past. The staterooms are quite small, we'll never again book an inside cabin on this ship! The service has always been good, the food like any other RCI ship. There is plenty to do on a short cruise, we love going to the comedy shows and Dueling Pianos.

We have had rougher waters heading back north on all of these little cruises, so make sure you bring preventive measures if you are prone to seasickness.

Don't worry. You will have a great time. She was just in dry dock so she is a clean and spiffy for you. I have done the 4 day cruise on another cruise line from L.A. since I live here, and I had a great time. And the Monarch is much better that that other cruise ship I was on. Have fun!

Does anyone know exactly what was done during dry dock? We haven't sailed the Monarch since May '04, at which time she was already in pretty fine shape as far as we could see. Fitz, I'd also appreciate a bit of a more detailed comparison between the Monarch and the "other";) 4-day Baja you took. Thanks in advance.

Archived