Best Way to call home

joy22kar

We are doing the Southern Itinerary on the Serenade in 2 weeks. (leave 2/11). What is the easiest/cheapest way to call home. We are leaving our two year old and still want to check on him daily so that he doesn't think mommy and daddy deserted him. (ok, so we're overprotective parents)... I know it's a vacation and I know my mom will take EXCELLENT care of my baby boy, but I will still want to call and say hi to the munchkin.

Are there any calling cards out there that will work on all the islands? or should we just talk quickly on the ship phone? I know my cell will work in San Juan and St. Thomas but I'm doubtful about all the other places.

Karla

I would suggest not calling as this may make it more difficult on you, the child, and the child's temporary provider. I'm just speaking as a mother here. I would however email twice a day so that Grandma or whoever can check on your emails and they can email you at your home address and you can check your mail while away and retrieve her messages to you. Go ahead and use your cell phone in any ports where you can but don't over worry in the ports where you can't. We used a pay phone at a port using our Visa and the bill was over $50 and we only talked for 3 minutes. The ship will cost you about $10.00 per minute to call out and the person receiving the call will be charged as well. The other option would be to try to get phone numbers for different places in your ports of call and have Grandma call at a certain time on the day you will be there so that you can speak for a couple of minutes. Seems like a hassle but it depends on just how desperate you are.

We rented a satellite phone last year which ran us about $150 for the week. Great for those "at sea" days. Calls are something like $1.75 per minute. As long as you have clear view of sky, you can call from anywhere at anytime. Worked great on the pool deck as well as from our balcony. Phones are big like old cell phones.

When we were on the Serenade last month we bought a Cable and Wireless card in Antiga . You can buy one at the Cable and Wireless building ( 5 story gray building )a few blocks from the peir. It will run you about a dollar a minute. You have to buy them in 5 dollar increments. They will accept US dollars but won't give change in US or use a credit card. There are phones right outside the building you can use. Very easy just insert the phone card and dial your number. Best thing is that these cards are also good in St Lucia and Barbados. There are Cable and Wireless phones in both cruise terminals, just ask where the phones are.

Archived