QM2 22 day Transatlantics and Independence Cruise

bodsfanclub

Bit in advance I know but any pointers folks can give me would be much appreciated:-

This cruise comprises two transatlantics with a week in between doing NY (twice), Portland, Halifax and Boston. 

My questions are these:-

1.How many Gala nights are there likely to be on each Transatlantic? - trying to plan dresses!

2.If any other cruisers have done this voyage, can you recall if there were any Gala nights on the segment cruising the eastern seaboard?

3.Luggage. Obviously going to be taking a fair bit. Some of the cases will fit under the beds. If the rest won't, can I still ask the cabin steward to store anything left out of cabin? 

Many thanks for your help!

As a rule, on a crossing there are three Gala nights per week, and on a cruise there are two per week. You can do your own arithmetic!

I believe you have to look after your own luggage etc..

Sounds a great trip.

Stewart

I don't know how big your cases are, but last time I was on, I had 2 large hard sided Samsonite cases and two slightly smaller soft sided bags, all 4 of which went under the bed with room to spare... I don't know exactly how much you are planning on taking... But... 🙂 

We did this trip last year, fortunately I still have a spreadsheet of the dresses I wore.  Formal nights day 2,4,6,9,14,16 and 18 = 7 formal nights and 12 informal. Only 1 formal on the Eastern Seaboard part.  I took 19 dresses  7 long 12 cocktail.

This was during the World Cup and several passengers stayed casual throughout eating in the Golden Lion and the Buffet.  

We took 3 cases and 1 wardrobe case for 3 adults and 2 small cases for overnight and sundries, all went under the bed.

It rained in Canada and we needed a jacket but the rest of the trip was good weatherwise and on occasions quite hot.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bodsfanclub said:

2.If any other cruisers have done this voyage, can you recall if there were any Gala nights on the segment cruising the eastern seaboard?

I've done the Independence leg of this several times and a ton of (non consecutive) transats. I will say that the whole atmosphere on the Independence Cruise is much more informal than you will get on the translatlantic legs. It's a holiday long weekend and most on board are American and treat it as such. While there has been 1 formal night-- most are in suits and you don't see nearly as many tuxes as you will on the transats. Kings Court is very busy that night as I noticed a lot of people try and skirt the dress code that formal night all together. 

Agree with the above. Although gala nights certainly were formal (up there with the way cruises "used to be" on most lines) but, yes the "extra glam of a crossing" was missing and the pre-dinner sparkle was a little less luxe in the Commodore Club,

As to the count - 3 for each crossing and probably 2 for the cruise. This year, it was a 7 day itinerary which allowed for Cunard's usual allotment of 2 nights for cruises. A previous poster mentioned that for her trip, last year, there was one, but that year's voyage was also shorter, I believe.

Edited by MarkBearSF

17 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

A previous poster mentioned that for her trip, last year, there was one, but that year's voyage was also shorter, I believe.

I think they have been traditionally 5 day trips up until now-- at least thats what I remember from the 2 we did a while back. There you go Cunard-- ruined the 5 and 6 day crossing and now we can't have our long holiday weekends anymore!

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies! The formal/gala evenings tie in with what I've bought dress wise, so that's good. Appreciate the advice about the more 'informal' vibe on the independence celebration segment. I noticed that last time I did the cruise in 2009 - but have to say it did make it fun to have a different set of passengers onboard, and a different feel to the ship for that week!

As to the luggage question - from what you've all said, and contemplating my own suitcases, I should be fine getting it under the bed! If not, I can pop Hubby on the balcony to sleep, and use his side of the bed for storage !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2