Carnivals Sharks, Rays, Barrier Reef Snorkel & Island Escape REVIEW

shloink1

Have read so many different times of day and things regarding this excursion I thought I should document our day:

Highly recommend this tour through Carnival.

Here is the lowdown

Exotic shore excursions is the company that Carnival charters. Fantastic service.

7:30am meeting in theatre

We were on 1st tender loading starting at 8:00

pull away from ship, 8:20

Belize City, 8:50

had to wait for guests who couldnt get up in time for the 8:20 pull away :/ so the 50 person boat to Cay Caulker didn't leave till 9:35

Cay Caulker, 10:25

food order put in for when you get back, bathroom break and equipment pick up at the lazy lizard done at this time.

back out 11:00am

2 stops for rays and sharks about 20 min total out and 20 back

1 hour and 20 minutes snorkling. heavy currents in ocean. 

back to lizard @1:00pm

lunch at 1:30

loading boat back to Belize City 2:15 

pull out 2:30

Back to Belize City 3:20

shopped for trinkets for 15 minutes

tender boat back to ship 3:35

back on boat 3:55

last tender was 4:15

- 10 of us went on this excursion. 2 of us stayed back on Cay Caulker (my wife and I)

All 8 said the reef tour AND the staff were unbelievable. Jose, Edna, Louis, Kareem and Henry. Edna stayed with the youngest one in our group (11)  the whole time in water. Fantastic service she was give is what I was told. 

My wife and I stayed and explored what I would consider one of the last truly untouched islands in the Caribbean. Rented a golf cart (delivered to us at the Lizard) for $12.50 US an hour (kept it all 4 hours-$50 cash, bring a drivers licenses) so when my friends came back from their snorkling they could take a quick runabout of the island as well. Went and had crepes at a little breakfast shop and drove around while the others were on reef. Youtube can give you a vibe of what a laid back, simple island in the middle of nowhere is to see if it is something that interests you. We also did this to decide if this is an island we would like to come back to and visit for a few days in the future.

We are quite the adventurous types and have done many excursions on our own. I would only recommend getting to Cay Caulker on this Carnival run tour. There are to many variables that could go sideways through this longf day for you to not get back to the ship on time. Besides, the staff is fantastic and very knowledgable. Lunch is not included in your fare but once you see how long it takes and the fuel they burn up getting you out and back from these reefs it is actually a fair rate in my opinion. 

Should mention- Our weather was perfect all day which really helped with the colors of the reefs and water. An overcast or rainy day could really hamper this excursion. I couldn't imagine riding out to the reefs at the speeds we were doing and getting hit by rain.  

hope the info was helpful  

• 1 month later...