Vancouverites??Thoughts on Hampton Inn

HELP!! I will be visiting Vancouver in June. I am wondering what your thoughts are on the Hampton Inn on Robson street. Is it a safe place to stay. I've heard remarks about homeless people in the area. Also is it in a pretty good location for sightseeing and shopping? Any help would be appreciated!

Can't answer your specific question about the Hampton Inn, but I want to share my success I just had with Priceline.com. We'll be in Vancouver 2 days pre-cruise on May 18th and May 19th. I really wanted a nice place to stay however rates in Vancouver are sky-high.

My reasoning is that I've had success in the past (last My we won a bid for the Hyatt Regency in Vancouver for $72.00) so why stay in a 2 or 3 star facility when staying in a really nice place is an affordable option.

So I began my bidding a week and a half ago (if your bid isn't accepted, you have to wait 72 hours before trying again. We're staying at the Westin Bayshore Resort and Marina, right next to Stanley Park at an unbelievable rate of $81 per night! Here's the bidding strategy I uses (as recommended by someone else on the Alaska board).

Sharon

Start out with Downtown and put in your low bid (I started at $50, probably too low). When it was rejected, I added another zone (Delta) and increased my bid a little. When that was rejected I added zone (Surrey) and added a $1 or so. I then Added zone (Langley) and increased the bid again. Don't add the other zones, because they have possible 4* that are too far away. If you bid on a lower star rating, these areas may not work. Actually if I was bidding on a 3* I would stick to Downtown only.

Hope this will help someone, because I have to tell you: It's really fun using Priceline, and winning a good bid is really a great feeling!

The Hampton is in a pretty good location. It is down on Robson very close to BC Place (the Footlball Stadium) and only a couple of blocks form GM Place the (ICe Hockey Arena). At that end of Robson there are not as many shops, but if you walk up Robson, you will be at the Pacific Center Mall within a few minutes (about 3 blocks), and another 2-3 blocks past that brings you into the "heart" of Robson and the shopping. As for Safety, it is in a good area. As for homeless people... well Vancouver is plagued with panhandlers, thus anywhere in the Downtown core you have a good chance of passing them. I walk that area frequently, with and without my children and I am not concerned about safety. As for sightseeing, it is fairly centerally located thus not a bad area, just depends and where you are going to go sightseeing.

I hoep this helps and would be more than please to answer more...

This has nothing to do with the number of stars of hotels in Surrey, Langley or Delta, but I just want to mention one thing about the distance of these places. Yes, they are going to be cheaper than Vancouver, but the Distance for Surrey, Delta and Langely is a little far (IMHO). I am sure they promote themselves as closer than they "really" are. I just don't want anyone to think that they are only minutes from Downtown Vancouver. Once again, IMHO, if you are looking for places to stay outside of Vancouver, I would reccomend, North Vancouver, Burnaby, Richmond or even Coquitlam. North Van., Burnaby and Richmond are adjacent subburbs, while coquitlam is a little further out, but on the Skytrain system, thus easy to get into Vancouver. Richmond is where the airport is and North Vancouver is just across the Lion's Gate Bridge from Vancovuer, while Burnaby is home to the largest shopping mall in the area (250+ sotres).... I hope this all helps. I understand taht people will stay in various places for various reasons, I just did not what anyone to stay further away than they thought they were.....:)

not great. It is near the arena and if there is an event on-it will be noisy.

Not too much happening down at that end of town. The main area is about 5 blocks up Robson and there are street people all over Vancouver. Just ignore them.

Can't answer your specific question about the Hampton Inn, but I want to share my success I just had with Priceline.com. We'll be in Vancouver 2 days pre-cruise on May 18th and May 19th. I really wanted a nice place to stay however rates in Vancouver are sky-high.

My reasoning is that I've had success in the past (last My we won a bid for the Hyatt Regency in Vancouver for $72.00) so why stay in a 2 or 3 star facility when staying in a really nice place is an affordable option.

So I began my bidding a week and a half ago (if your bid isn't accepted, you have to wait 72 hours before trying again. We're staying at the Westin Bayshore Resort and Marina, right next to Stanley Park at an unbelievable rate of $81 per night! Here's the bidding strategy I uses (as recommended by someone else on the Alaska board).

Sharon

Start out with Downtown and put in your low bid (I started at $50, probably too low). When it was rejected, I added another zone (Delta) and increased my bid a little. When that was rejected I added zone (Surrey) and added a $1 or so. I then Added zone (Langley) and increased the bid again. Don't add the other zones, because they have possible 4* that are too far away. If you bid on a lower star rating, these areas may not work. Actually if I was bidding on a 3* I would stick to Downtown only.

Hope this will help someone, because I have to tell you: It's really fun using Priceline, and winning a good bid is really a great feeling!

Thanks for the info on Priceline.

I guess my problem with it would be this. I maybe go on vacation once a year and really want to select a nice hotel in a nice location. As I understand it I can only pick a general location and number of stars. But If i traveled all the time I would use it.

By the way I will be ending a cruise in Vancouver in May and plan to stay at the Sutton Place hotel for one night. I was in Vancouver while I was in the Navy and it's a wonderful city and the people treated us really nice, same with Victoria.

I just bid $65 for a 4* Vancouver Hotel on priceline for 7/28/06 and right away it was taaken for a room at the Westin Bayshore. The total cost with all the added fees and taxes will be $79.61 for the night. A quick check on the Hotel web page shows the regular rate is $310.00 a night.

Redbullah,

We stayed at the Hampton Inn on Robson after our last Alaskan cruise. We found the room to be very nice (had a jacuzzi tub) and the location was just fine. We were able to walk all over Vancouver and see lots--Chinatown, Gas Town, took a hop on hop off bus around and the horse drawn carriage in Stanley Park. We walked up and down Robson Street and enjoyed window shopping. It was great!!! I think you would find the Hampton Inn to be okay. We took a cab from the ship to the Hampton Inn with our luggage. After that, we just walked around most of the time.

Have a wonderful time in Vancouver

Barbara

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your help. I did go thru priceline and bid $78. They came back and asked for an increase in bid for $22.00. I added Delta and rebid at $81.00 and WON!!! I am so-o-o-o-o EXCITED!!!Good luck to everyone else and hang in there, I've been bidding for about three weeks now. Happy Bidding!

We are staying at this hotel 1 nite post-cruise in May. Called hotel and they offer a limited downtown free 1 way shuttle bus (in other words they will take you where you want to go within reason) and you get back on your own.

The front desk said you call in the morning and make reservations and tell them where you want to go.

They were very friendly and this hotel is rated # 1 on tripadvisor.com for Vancouver

The location is just fine for the Hampton Inn. You'll find homeless people in most parts of Vancouver -- that is just a fact of life in the big city nowadays, and should not be something to discourage you from staying there.

That being said, I personally would prefer to stay at the Westin Bayshore that I see so many others getting fantastic deals on. It is situated in a beautiful location on Coal Harbour right at the entrance to Stanley Park and within a short walking distance to Canada Place and all the downtown and west end amenities you might want to persue. A nice bonus now in 2006 with all Westin Hotels is that they have gone totally non-smoking.

Dave

We are staying at this hotel 1 nite post-cruise in May. Called hotel and they offer a limited downtown free 1 way shuttle bus (in other words they will take you where you want to go within reason) and you get back on your own.

The front desk said you call in the morning and make reservations and tell them where you want to go.

They were very friendly and this hotel is rated # 1 on tripadvisor.com for Vancouver

Iswaaley, what hotel are you referring to that has a free 1 way shuttle bus? Is it the Westin? Since we will be there on the 18 and 19th of May, I'm hoping so!

Archived