Marella - Is it the done thing?

Hi guys

Not sure if this is frowned upon or not so here goes?  I booked my cruise back in Dec 18 for my cruise Nov 19.  I have booked an outside cabin and been keeping an eye on price for a balcony.  Unfortunately all the balcony cabins are now booked but the cost of the outside cabin has came down considerably.  So much so that it would actually be more cost effective for me to cancel the original booking and loose the £500 deposit and rebook making a saving of £1,000 (£500 once I loose the deposit).

Do people regularly do this?  My main concern also is I have reserved my cabin number.  So if I was to cancel and then rebook what are the chances if I then called up to reserve that specific cabin number again I would get it?

Thanks Lx

Hello L74.

this exact same thing happened to me on my Northern Lights cruise that I enjoyed last November.

I did write to TUI and ask them to make a good will gesture to me, given that I had booked the cruise in good faith and they had access to my deposit for some time.

TUI didn't even respond to my letter, which I thought was pretty poor form.

I cancelled the cruise, losing my deposit, rebooked, booking the cabin that I had cancelled, and saved myself a total of £700, this despite still forfeiting my deposit.

Hi L74, yes I've also done this last year on our Iceland cruise.  I rang to cancel the booking, obviously telling them why!  I then rebooked and asked for the same cabin number while I was on the phone.  We saved around £500 even after losing our deposit.

We did this when the price of our re-po cruise from Malaga to Southampton last year dropped by more than half.

We cancelled via the website and immediately re-booked.  Got a better grade cabin and, even allowing for the loss of our 300 Pound deposit, saved nearly 400 Pounds.