A Few Questions about the Star

mthayer295

We are packing for our Adriatic cruise on the Star next week and as this is our first time on Viking Ocean we have a few questions:

1. are there standard US electrical outlets?

2. is there a makeup (magnified) mirror?

Thanks in advance.

You won’t find a magnified mirror. There is however a makeup mirror built into the desktop. Just flip it up. Underneath is also storage space for small items. Go to Viking’s website and you can see it pictured in a Penthouse Veranda stateroom with a woman sitting at the desk and using it. If I remember correctly it lights up but is not magnified.

On 8/2/2019 at 9:26 AM, worldtraveler1234 said:

There are many standard 110 outlets in the cabin.However if you are staying in a hotel before or after you will need a 220 transformer.

If all you need to plug in are electronics, then you don't need to invest in a power converter as the cords for most electronics are already set up to work with either current.  However, you will need an adapter --and those are cheap enough and readily available on line and in stores like Target and Beth Bath and Beyond. Also, there are USB outlets in the cabin, at least two on each nightstand an, if memory serves, a few more on the desk.

However, if you are bringing heat producing appliances that don't already work on either current, you will need a power converter and you will have to make sure that it can handle the wattage of  your appliances. Many hotels supply hair dryers. On board the ship, Viking supplies hair dryers and all other heat producing devices are forbidden as they pose a fire hazard. In other words, no travel irons (there are irons in the laundrettes), no straighteners, etc. I just noticed that curling irons are permitted on the Viking Ocean ships.

There is a complete list of forbidden items in the PDF listen below.

From the Viking FAQ:

You will find both 110V and 220V electrical outlets in your stateroom. All outlets are European style (2 pin) with a ground, except for two US 110V sockets above the desk and one US 110V socket on each side of the bed; there are no UK 3 pin sockets. Should you need an adapter, they are available for sale in the onboard shop or can be found at most electronics or travel stores. (Remember that if you’re staying in a hotel for part of your journey, you’ll want the appropriate adapter for that country as well.) In your stateroom, you will also find a USB socket to charge cell phones and tablets; just bring the appropriate cable with you. Most modern electronic devices can accommodate different electrical currents, so you probably won’t need a current converter.

And also from MyVikingJourney a complete list of forbidden items: http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/mvj/onboard-prohibited-list.pdf

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

However, if you are bringing heat producing appliances that don't already work on either current, you will need a power converter and you will have to make sure that it can handle the wattage of  your appliances. Many hotels supply hair dryers. On board the ship, Viking supplies hair dryers and all other heat producing devices are forbidden as they pose a fire hazard. In other words, no travel irons (there are irons in the laundrettes), no straighteners, etc. I just noticed that curling irons are permitted on the Viking Ocean ships.

And also from MyVikingJourney a complete list of forbidden items: http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/mvj/onboard-prohibited-list.pdf

I am thrilled to see the clarification regarding curling irons. I am not usually a rule breaker, so I won't admit  whether my curling iron accompanied me on past cruises (saved for my most desperate hair days, of course), but I am glad to know that I can be guilt-free on future cruises!