Low Sodiium diet on Oceania?

Waswo

I have tried to research this without success.   I wonder if anyone has tried to ask for low-sodium dishes on any of the Oceania's ships?    We love the line and the experience it offers.   Since our last cruise we have been advised to try to have a seriously low sodium diet (because of heart failure and hypertension).   Does anyone recall if low-salt foods are on offer?  Or can one ask for a dish that is low-salt?  I know that the dishes are hardly custom-made but I wonder if one can find dietary assistance. 

Thank you.

Call the Special services dept ....my TA had it noted on  my file

When you board  they will give you the menus for dinners for the next  night & they will make the dishes you choose 

low sodium..the 1st night  you may want to ask for items with no salt added

When you go to dinner  let them know you have a special meal ..you will be served in courses like everyone else at your table

Seems  you may have to ask at other meals like Breakfast & lunch & in the Terrace

I ask which dishes are lower in sodium or just choose foods that I know are low sodium ..fruit, salads etc

If you want to be sure the other meals are low sodium for sure  ask to have those menus provided to you as well

O have been pretty good lately &  they seem to have cut back on adding extra salt to most dishes

Thank you so much, LHT28.  You've answered my question!  I am so glad.  I am sure that I can make it work.  Just because I've never needed a special service in the past, I was not aware that it can be done.   

Thank you for your response!  Off to book a cruise!

Just now, Waswo said:

Thank you so much, LHT28.  You've answered my question!  I am so glad.  I am sure that I can make it work.  Just because I've never needed a special service in the past, I was not aware that it can be done.   

Thank you for your response!  Off to book a cruise!

enjoy

We have been on 3 Oceania cruises since DH's cardiac arrests, lengthy hospitalization, and severely impaired heart function. 

For breakfast, he will have fruit and oatmeal, a poached egg on English muffin, or made-to-order omelet; we are aware that the English muffins are not the low sodium ones we buy at home.

For lunch, he builds a salad from plain veggies (prepared salads are likely to be high in sodium), chooses plain fish or poultry. Limits bread, which is often high in sodium (thank goodness for zero sodium Ezekiel bread at home!).

As said earlier, he orders his dinner the day before and the chef makes him a low sodium version.  On the rare occasion that we decide to eat in the Terrace Cafe, the maitre d' will get his dinner from the GDR.

There is sugar free ice cream every day; DH loves ice cream, but sugar is very closely related to heart disease.  At lunch, there are always sugar free cookies.

Edited by Andee