Input please on 2 ports in Spain.

Lydia B.

Good morning,

will be cruising next year and would love to have some input and suggestions on the following two ports.  I have looked on Rick Steve’s and Travel  Advisor and there isn’t a lot of info other than the basics. If you have traveled here what did you do, what did you like, etc. thanks loads. Lydia

. Gjion

. La Coruna

Never been to Gijon, but A (or La) Coruna is the gateway port for Santiago de Compostelo.

Should be loads of info on it online, also if you search this Spain Forum with the words A (or la) Coruna and/or Santiago de Compostela you should get many results to read through.

Also look at sights such as whatsinport, cruisemapper and many others.

42 minutes ago, hkto said:

If going in the summer Gijon has nice beach

Would like to do a beach. Do you happen to know which one you are thinking of. Playa El Arbeyal looks to be 24 minutes from the pier. San Lorenzo looks very nice but over an hour away. Thanks. 

14 minutes ago, prish said:

We’re porting at A Coruna next May and plan on going to Santiago de Compostela, we’ll probably do a private tour with Spain Day Tours as we’ll be six.

Funny you should post this. Since my original posting have done more research and we are booking same side trip and same your company. Spain Day Tours have gotten good reviews and the cathedral looks fantastic. 

Port of Gijon is about 4-5 miles from city center. Closest beach to center is Poniente. Arbeyal is smaller and closer to port but probably too far to walk, 30-40 min. Another beach is San Lorenzo which is the biggest and is the main city beach.

55 minutes ago, Lydia B. said:

Funny you should post this. Since my original posting have done more research and we are booking same side trip and same your company. Spain Day Tours have gotten good reviews and the cathedral looks fantastic. 

I have read/heard a lot about Santiago de Compostela and am excited to be going there. It’s so far away from the usual tourist routes that probably a cruise would be the best way to go.

We’ll be on an Iberian peninsula cruise, so am going to look at setting up tours in 3-4 ports with Spain Day Tours. Will probably get started on this sometime next month...