Pacific Sun v's Pacific Princess

smurfette

Hi,

My parents are looking at going on either of these ships for CChristmas 2006. Can everyone tell me what the difference is between clientele and activities on the two ships. Is the food different? Tipping prices different? Any info would be great.

Thanks

hi.I cruised on both Sun and Princess last year.It depends a lot on what you are expecting on a cruise.The Princess is a much nicer ship,smaller,easier to get around,no queueing,better food,crew a bit more attentive.However most of the passengers are in the older age group,so it tends to be quieter,activities on board geared to a more "genteel" crowd,not quite as much night life.The Sun is geared to more of the Party goers and Families,a lot more activities on board,more noise,your usual crowd of drunken yobbos who start drinking the minute they get on board,more kids racing around,monopolising the pool and water slide,longer queues at the buffet and for the tenders,and a lot more Smokey areas( if you are sensitive to cigarette smoke).but definitely better cocktails than the princess..I enjoyed them both but was lucky enough to have a balcony on the princess and it was just heaven to wake up and walk outside in your pjs,or lie in bed and watch the water..Check out last minute deals for a balcony upgrade it is definitely worth it,otherwise if on the Sun,try to get an outside cabin in the centre of the ship,less movement and not as far to walk!

Would definitely recommend Pacific Princess. We did Christmas cruise in 2005 and have booked again for 2006. We are both in our 40's but found a good mixture of ages - 50% elderly (but fun) the other 50% were children (34) and a good mix of 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's. Mainly geared towards couples and described as the 'country club' style of cruising. Ratio of 680 passengers and 340 crew meant we were spoilt for service and the food was fantastic. There is still night life for the party goers but with a lot less crowd than on the other ships geared more for the younger set. For couples without kids this ship would be a good choice. Tipping is $6.50 per person per day automatically added to your account but you can remove it and tip who you want to in person.:)

We were told that the Sun was about 2.5 to 3 star. But its perfect for me!!

I love the fun atmosphere.

I think when I eventually settle down I'd like to try a "5 star" ship, but until then im happy to party on the p&O aus ones.

Anyone what our new regal Princess is like in terms of ratings?

Dan

hopefully they leave the regal princess all white.. i think thats why it has a classier look

http://www.e-cruiseworld.com/carnivalaustralia-news.htm <-- theres a link of what the regal princess would look like if painted like the sun n the star...:)

No, all white ships look too stark. Pacific Sky looks much better as Pacific Sky than it did as Fairsky or Sky Princess, when she was all white.

Well put Dan...I think both ships have something to offer. When I sailed on the Fairstar in 1988 it was a great party ship as I'm sure the Sun/Star are. For the 'older crowd' now who can afford the little extra that the Pacific Princess costs, it's nice to have the choice of different styles of cruising. I think it's great just to be able to cruise and have fun with others, regardless of the ship as everyone seems to enjoy themselves on a cruise.:)

No, all white ships look too stark. Pacific Sky looks much better as Pacific Sky than it did as Fairsky or Sky Princess, when she was all white.

Yes I hope that the Regal Princess will have some colour like our aussie ships the star and sun. It would be good if it had blue and yellow on it. It would like great for us!!! :)

• 4 weeks later...
hopefully they leave the regal princess all white.. i think thats why it has a classier look

http://www.e-cruiseworld.com/carnivalaustralia-news.htm <-- theres a link of what the regal princess would look like if painted like the sun n the star...:)

thanks for the link luvvin, i must have missed this when you first posted it.

Some good pictures of the ships if you click on the links.

One thing i did notice was a photo of the "sun" with an oval kids pool on the deck below the lido. That is not there (or did i miss it!!!)wonder why they took it out. It would have been good for the littlies to have a pool. One thing i thought was missing on the sun was a wading pool or somewhere for non swimmers

One thing i did notice was a photo of the "sun" with an oval kids pool on the deck below the lido. That is not there (or did i miss it!!!)wonder why they took it out. It would have been good for the littlies to have a pool. One thing i thought was missing on the sun was a wading pool or somewhere for non swimmers

Karen

NO you didnt miss the kids pool when you were on your cruise. P&O replaced the pool with an outside playground for the littlies in kids club. They can now ride trikes and have some outdoor fun:D. It was probably a safety issue with the swimming.

Kazza

Archived