Help! Taxi or Excursion in Roatan?

netminder1980

My wife and I want to see Daniel Johnson's monkey and sloth place, go snorkeling somewhere at West Bay Beach, then eat king crab at Gio's. What would be the easiest way to accomplish this? Least expensive way? Is it even possible? The ship will be at Mahogany Bay from 10-6 (ship time?). Thanks for your help.

41 minutes ago, netminder1980 said:

My wife and I want to see Daniel Johnson's monkey and sloth place, go snorkeling somewhere at West Bay Beach, then eat king crab at Gio's. What would be the easiest way to accomplish this? Least expensive way? Is it even possible? The ship will be at Mahogany Bay from 10-6 (ship time?). Thanks for your help.

Easiest way is to sign up with one of the private drivers for a day. It will be $40pp if there are only two of you. The driver should stay with you for the day although some have recently reported them doing a fill in job while you are snorkeling, for example. 

We we haven’t experienced that problem but we have had trouble insisting that we know where we want to go and that we don’t want recommendations, or  a tour.

I wish it was easier and cheaper on Roatan  to just take a taxi from A to B but that hasn’t been our experience. We have hired from multiple companies highly recommended on here and although we have always got to and from where we have wanted to go I wouldn’t say any have provided a great experience. 

Booking has has always been relatively easy.

I am not sure what times Gio’s Is open - we went early a long time ago, but if you are talking about the one in French Harbor seems like you would be going back and forth a lot with that itinerary. 

Edited by c-leg5

22 minutes ago, netminder1980 said:

Is one Gio's restaurant better than the other and are there motorized scooters to rent at or near the port at Mahogany Bay? Thank you for your great help.

Sorry, I don’t know I have only been to the one at French Harbor, many many years ago for a drink and the view but I would think that is close to Daniel sloths from Mahogany Bay.

I have never been to Mahogany Bay, always dock at Coxen Hole. 

Edited by c-leg5

15 hours ago, netminder1980 said:

Is one Gio's restaurant better than the other and are there motorized scooters to rent at or near the port at Mahogany Bay? Thank you for your great help.

Both are pretty much the same.  But the Flowers Bay is further from MBCC than the French Harbor.

As far as scooters, Captain Van's has your back.

https://captainvans.com/cruise-ships/

I personally would be hesitant on taking a scooter out of MBCC.  There's a long steep hill out of the vendor lot to the main road. (not the one from the shopping area to the vendor lot).  The road in that area is very narrow.  It's the main, and only road, between Coxen Hole and French Harbor and Oakville.  Lots of island traffic.  But ask CV about the traffic and experience.  You do pay more for the scooter in MBCC than in Coxen Hole.