Sun— still open bar on 8/19 or soda package?

ewl

Hi all, 

Cruising on the 8/19 Sun and confused about beverages. It seems some booked this cruise with the Sun open bar (I.e., no swiping, all basics just free) which I understand is being phased out. When we booked in July, it didn’t advertise the Sun open bar, but we got a free beverage package, which to my surprise shows as the new Premium Plus Beverage Package. We ordered the soda package for DD17, but did we need to?  Are they now swiping everyone’s card for everything or is the Sun open bar (which I think included soda?) still in effect?

Thanks-

Update:  OK now I think I’m wrong and it does say Sun Open Bar on our booking; then we got upgraded to PPBP for booking a balcony. Which I think means there was no need to purchase the soda package?  Argh. 

Edited by ewl
Confused.

I have been on the Sun with the open bar. No card, just walk up and order. I understand with the PP you need to show them you are that but still no paper slip, no ringup.  As for your 17yo the PP is only the first 2 in the cabin, 3rd would not have a package (if under 21) so you might be best with his soda package.

I might be wrong though.  We are either on the last or one of the last open bar cruises at the end of the month.

Yes, you should just cancel the soda package for your DD. We were on the Sun in April and we’re sailing the Sun again on the 24th. They just give you whatever you order at any bar unless it’s super premium but it sounds like you have that covered with your premium package. I really like the way the open bar works. Wish they weren’t going away from it. 

https://www.ncl.com/fr/en/terms/sun-beverages

Edited by qdog123

9 minutes ago, qdog123 said:

Yes, you should just cancel the soda package for your DD. We were on the Sun in April and we’re sailing the Sun again on the 24th. They just give you whatever you order at any bar unless it’s super premium but it sounds like you have that covered with your premium package. I really like the way the open bar works. Wish they weren’t going away from it. 

So I stand corrected, there would no reason to buy the soda package if on an Open Bar cruise.. straight from the website:

In addition to the Buffet and Main Dining Rooms – which are complimentary – and free entertainment, guests booked on Norwegian Sun’s 3-5 Day sailings will receive: unlimited soda and juice, designated spirits, cocktails, wines by the glass, bottled and draft beer.
*Sun Open Bar may exclude Chartered Sailings. Please contact the organizer of your cruise for details.

Norwegian Sun offers an inclusive 3-, 4-, and 5-day contemporary cruise vacation at sea. However, there are additional charges for designated Super Premium alcohol brands, bottled wine, mini bar purchases, bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, Lavazza Coffee beverages, energy or sports drinks, cans of soda, vending machines, wine stations, designated ship specific promotions, room service beverages, “take-aways” and package sales.

Yes. At this time we are only including designated spirits, wines by the glass, and bottled or draft beer, and unlimited soda and juice.

Yes. Young adults between the ages of 18 and 20 can consume wine and beer only while on board and with the consent of an accompanying parent.

There is nothing that needs to be added to the reservation. Beginning 5/7/2018, all Norwegian Sun 3-5 Day sailings will include designated unlimited spirits, wines by the glass, and bottled or draft beer and unlimited soda and juice.

We have so much enjoyed the convenience of the "Open Bar" and really hate to see it go.  We are on the last cruise of the OB, Sept 2, and the first without it, Sept.7, but fortunately booked it before the  cutoff.  Maybe after 2021, the sailings to Cuba can begin again and NCL could reinstate the OB☺️

Thanks all. Guess I’ll see if they let me cancel the soda package as it seems silly if the only point would be to get soda in a can.  Looking forward to setting sail!