San Pedro Cruise Departure

Cruising89143

Can anyone who is familiar with the San Pedro Cruise port please tell me your thoughts on the area? We are booked at the Crowne Plaza San Pedro due to the fact that we can leave our car with the hotel/valet for the week and they shuttle us to and from the port. Reading on some sites like Trip Advisor that the hotel told guests not to leave the hotel in the evening. Not safe. Gang activity and homeless issues. Not usually one that gets alarmed easy but they’re making it sound like a really less than desirable area. We just like the ease of the parking situation. Thanks for any feedback. 

Hi,

I just looked at the reviews on Trip Advisor and don't see the comments you have mentioned.

Where exactly did your read them??

Many folks on this board stay there before their cruise.

We stay a little farther away at the Doubletree San Pedro because we collect Hilton pts.

They also let you leave your car parked there and shuttle you to the port and to nearby restaurants for free.

San Pedro has a lower crime rate than Hollywood, Venice Beach or West Hollywood, all which are tourist attractions. The majority of the crime in San Pedro is Part two crimes rather than part one. Of course no one can guarantee your safety anywhere.

If you are really concerned, you can call the Harbor Division of the LAPD and ask them.  310-726-7700

12 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

Can anyone who is familiar with the San Pedro Cruise port please tell me your thoughts on the area? We are booked at the Crowne Plaza San Pedro due to the fact that we can leave our car with the hotel/valet for the week and they shuttle us to and from the port. Reading on some sites like Trip Advisor that the hotel told guests not to leave the hotel in the evening. Not safe. Gang activity and homeless issues. Not usually one that gets alarmed easy but they’re making it sound like a really less than desirable area. We just like the ease of the parking situation. Thanks for any feedback. 

It's not Malibu or Beverly Hills...but, I, personally, would not hesitate to stay there...or to go out to dinner in the evening at a nearby restaurant.  San Pedro was, traditionally, a blue-collar town--home to sailors, fishermen, dock workers, etc.  It has always had a high minority population--Latino, Filipino, Pacific Islander, etc...generally mirroring the diverse ethnicities that make up this working class--mostly good, hard-working, friendly people.  In the last several years, however, San Pedro has undergone quite a bit of gentrification--so the population demographics and the average income of the area has changed significantly.  Some parts of town are still a bit sketchy, others are quite nice.  For example, the area near the Best Western is not all that desirable...while the area around the Doubletree is very nice. The area near the Crowne Plaza is the heart of Downtown San Pedro--a lot of shops and restaurants.  The buildings are mostly fairly old, but they have been rehabilitated nicely.  With all of the restaurants and night spots, there is often quite a bit of foot traffic at night, especially on weekends.  As with any urban area nowadays, there will be a few homeless people around.  Crime is always a possibility--as it is most everywhere...wherever you are, you should secure your wallets and be aware of your surroundings...

If you are easily freaked out by less than an idyllic modern and pristine atmosphere, then stay elsewhere--You could head a few miles away to the Terranea Resort in Palos Verdes, for example, but your costs will skyrocket and you'll give up the immediate convenience to the port.  For me, however, I would stay at the Crowne Plaza (and go have dinner at the San Pedro Brewing Co.)...

Thanks for your responses. Most of the negative reviews on the hotel were on Yelp but TA is a mixed bag of reviews. Homeless does not really bother me. We have that here in Palm Springs and it’s not an issue. We also have a reservation booked at the Hyatt in LB. Will make a decision between the two. 

1 hour ago, cruisingator2 said:

Thanks for your responses. Most of the negative reviews on the hotel were on Yelp but TA is a mixed bag of reviews. Homeless does not really bother me. We have that here in Palm Springs and it’s not an issue. We also have a reservation booked at the Hyatt in LB. Will make a decision between the two. 

If you are getting a good deal that includes parking and you are coming down the day before, I'd stick with the Crowne Plaza. The area is fine (on a par with Cathedral City imho) and there are some good spots to eat. I read a couple of the reviews in TA (I chose 2* reviews) and they cracked me up. One person was shocked they paid so much ($150), which is pretty cheap in LA, one was shocked it was so far from "LA" (really, you didn't look at location before you booked?) and one had stayed there "several times before with no issues", but this time..... Of course that person didn't give good reviews for all the previous stays, no this was their first review of the Crowne Plaza.

So yeah.... I'd stick with the CP.

I like the Hyatt Centric and Hyatt Regency in Long Beach, but unless you are cruising Carnival or going for a couple of days, there is really no reason to stay in LB.

• Like 1