Liberty Aft extended balcony vs regular balcony

Susan in Maine

We are on the September 23rd 4 day cruise from Port Canaveral to the Bahamas and have a balcony booked. I broke my right foot last week and will be using a knee roller.

The only handicapped accessible rooms are insides with windows at the front of the ship. I am loathe to give up my balcony. I know the aft balcony cabins aren't bigger than a regular cabin, but would it be worth an extra $200 to get the much bigger balcony for the extra room?

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Susan in Maine said:

We are on the September 23rd 4 day cruise from Port Canaveral to the Bahamas and have a balcony booked. I broke my right foot last week and will be using a knee roller.

The only handicapped accessible rooms are insides with windows at the front of the ship. I am loathe to give up my balcony. I know the aft balcony cabins aren't bigger than a regular cabin, but would it be worth an extra $200 to get the much bigger balcony for the extra room?

Thanks!

The aft extended balcony is the exact same size as the regular balcony. However, the balcony itself is 25ft larger. I would recommend upgrading to a suite with your unfortunate situation, if your budget allows. You would get the same size balcony with a larger room.

I have also cruised with a broken foot and "roller".  I didn't find that I needed the extra room, but if you do, I would suggest maybe switching to a room (or requesting) that is maybe closer to the elevators?  That would certainly help with mobility issues and lack of ability to use stairs.  The "roller" really doesn't take up much space.  I would NOT switch to a cabin in the aft part of the ship.  Even though these are some of my fav rooms, they are MUCH further away from the action and will require more "scooting" than if mid ship, or near elevators.  

We are also aft balcony lovers and will be in one for our upcoming Nov cruise on Liberty.

The large balcony and the views are the best, but as CruizCuz said you will be away from some of the action.

One thing to note is that the rooms on the end, (not the aft wraps) the regular Cat 8M afts, (for example, 7442 ans 7447) do not have couches, as they are a little narrower. That may be a factor for you.

18 hours ago, Susan in Maine said:

Thanks!

The aft extended balcony is extended outward not sideways. This is done because the glass railing across the end of the balcony is angled from bottom to top. So if you look at the aft from the side of the ship you will see a continuous angled line from the top of the ship on down. This makes the balcony deeper from the door outware to the railing, but a bunch of that space is not really "stand up" useful. It would only provide extra space if you had loungers and placed the foot sections under the slanted glass railing.The actual stand up section of the balcony is actually no bigger than a normal balcony.

Aft balconies are in the back of the ship. Long ways to walk, or roll, to get to your cabin. Would advise getting the cabin that involved the least walking. Been there, done that, with a hurt knee, and seriously regretted an alf balcony cabin.

• Like 1