Reduced Airfare Questions

lka16

I'm no stranger to cruising with Princess, but this will be my first NCL cruise in April 2021. I've never booked airfare with Princess before so I'm a bit nervous about booking it with a cruise line altogether.  

So here's my question...I know NCL will only book the basic airfare and you can upgrade directly with the airline later- has anyone ran into the issue with the airlines that they ran out of say premium economy- or was the upgrade prices extremely pricey? I know I have a bit before I need to make this decision, but I'm wondering if I should just make my own airfare arrangements like I always have and update my savings to include more for airfare, or just suck it up and take a chance with NCL? 

Any other tips, or advice about the airfare is welcome too! 🙂 

Friends had no issues paying to upgrade. Ours was complimentary and I had no trouble getting two aisle seats across from each other in Premium Economy.  NCL books Economy, not Basic Economy so upgrades are possible. 

Our flights are on United,  Newark to Barcelona. We could not have matched the NCL airfare on our own.

Edited by Nola26

We had free air from Newark to Miami. On the flight home I upgraded us to first class for $137 each. When you back out the $45 per bag luggage fee, it really only cost $82. It was well worth it, most comfortable flight I ever had, might have ruined coach for me.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, can you tell me how your air experience was ?  Did you have a non stop flight ? How much earlier before the cruise left did you arrive? Were you and your family all sitting together? Anything you can share I would appreciate. 

On 8/19/2019 at 3:28 AM, geneticfreak said:

We had free air from Newark to Miami. On the flight home I upgraded us to first class for $137 each. When you back out the $45 per bag luggage fee, it really only cost $82. It was well worth it, most comfortable flight I ever had, might have ruined coach for me.  

What airlines did you fly?  I was told that you couldn't upgrade to first class.....only economy plus.

2 hours ago, snow1 said:

What airlines did you fly?

Previous threads have indicated NCL uses major airlines (United, American, Delta and I think one more).  The proposed routes for my trip next month indicate my flights booked through NCL are probably on Delta and American.

22 minutes ago, hallux said:

Previous threads have indicated NCL uses major airlines (United, American, Delta and I think one more).  The proposed routes for my trip next month indicate my flights booked through NCL are probably on Delta and American.

Thanks hallux

I was curious to know what airline geneticfreak was on that allowed him to upgrade to first class.  I am pretty sure we will be on United......just waiting for the flight info to come through. Didn't think an upgrade to first class was available.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on American. The option was only given the first time logging in to pick your seat on aa.com.  Since you are checking in through the airline, it is a separate transaction from the original booking by NCL. Other airlines might not give the option, or just simply might be sold out.