Hawaii for a first timer with children.

josephml1

Hello Everyone.

I have done my homework and read a lot about the hawaii ports of call but now I am looking more for an inside tip.

I need your experience help about what to do on each port with children 5,4 and 2.5 years old. 

This are my ports of call:

San francisco

Hilo

Honolulu

Kauai

Maui

Ensenada. 

Thank you all for your help and advice. 🙂 

For the Hawaii ports get the Revealed books (Oahu Revealed, Maui Revealed etc.). Libraries generally have them, and there are many used ones available online. We go to Hawaii often, and always bring our Revealed books - lots of editorialized reviews on everything!

• Like 2

In San Francisco there is the Exploratorium a few piers down from the ship.  Pier 39 has an aquarium, a carousel, the musical stairs and of course the sea lions.  You could get on one of the street cars across from the terminal to get you to Pier 39.. And don't forget the Cable Cars.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2019 at 8:37 AM, RSF Cruiser said:

For the Hawaii ports get the Revealed books (Oahu Revealed, Maui Revealed etc.). Libraries generally have them, and there are many used ones available online. We go to Hawaii often, and always bring our Revealed books - lots of editorialized reviews on everything!

No +1 from me for this advice. Locals in Hawaii call the book series "Reviled" not "Revealed". While the books did "reveal" some sights most tourists didn't know about, the author forgot to "reveal" that the sight was a) dangerous or b) there was no way to get there without trespassing on private lands. Several deaths have been attributed to the books. It got so bad that the Hawaii legislature was contemplating passing a law with sanctions against the authors.

The books are also so unpopular, especially on Maui, that some cars with a visible Maui Revealed in them have been vandalized.

I like the website, especially their reviews of hotels, but be forewarned about having a visible copy while on the various islands

• Like 1

Our favorite Hawaiian Islands travel books are by Richard Sullivan, Driving and Discovering Hawaii and all the other islands.  You can view them on-line.  We have used this to stop on the Road to Hana and pic nic and have the kids jump into natural pools, and many other things.  Our 3 children started traveling to Hawaii when they were old enough to be on an aircraft.  They learned to surf on Maui, loved hiking around VNP, loved sitting in the net of a catamaran looking for dolphins, doing a zodiac snorkel trip and seeing dolphins and turtles, doing an outrigger canoe ride in Waikiki, etc., etc., etc.  Our children, now young adults, loved visiting Hawaii and one lives there now.  We have photos of them even younger than your children doing what kids like to do...being adventurous and having fun.  A visit/tour to the Iolani Palace in Honolulu was also enjoyed by them when they were young.  You have a zillion things to choose from depending on what your children like to do.  And, don't forget the shave ice.  You can make a fun project of trying shave ice wherever you go and deciding where you had the best.  We have had adult friends that do this.  Have fun,  Cherie   

Edited by cccole
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2019 at 4:03 PM, cccole said:

Our favorite Hawaiian Islands travel books are by Richard Sullivan, Driving and Discovering Hawaii and all the other islands.  You can view them on-line.  We have used this to stop on the Road to Hana and pic nic and have the kids jump into natural pools, and many other things.  Our 3 children started traveling to Hawaii when they were old enough to be on an aircraft.  They learned to surf on Maui, loved hiking around VNP, loved sitting in the net of a catamaran looking for dolphins, doing a zodiac snorkel trip and seeing dolphins and turtles, doing an outrigger canoe ride in Waikiki, etc., etc., etc.  Our children, now young adults, loved visiting Hawaii and one lives there now.  We have photos of them even younger than your children doing what kids like to do...being adventurous and having fun.  A visit/tour to the Iolani Palace in Honolulu was also enjoyed by them when they were young.  You have a zillion things to choose from depending on what your children like to do.  And, don't forget the shave ice.  You can make a fun project of trying shave ice wherever you go and deciding where you had the best.  We have had adult friends that do this.  Have fun,  Cherie   

Great advice, thanks for taking the time to post in this thread. very useful. :)