Do you take your DL onshore?

You know, at one time I never even brought my license on vacation as there was never any driving involved and for ID purposes I had a passport but always left it with the ship or in the safe. So I would just have my Seapass, 1-credit card and some cash. Nowadays I take my license for emergency ID purposes in port. This is strictly for "emergency purposes"- an example would be having a heart attack and being taken to a local hospital....should have some ID with me as I am not getting any younger :)

EagerToCruise: Most port security requires your SeaPass as well as a photo ID to re-enter the port area and return to the ship. Thus, yes we take SeaPass and DL with us while we are off the ship (except for 'private' islands).

Bruce

Some ports of call "require" you to have your ID with you for re-entry to your ship. I've "had" to show it at several ports of call. Other ports only asked for the seapass card. If something would happen and you are stuck at the port of call that ID or passport might become a lifesaver to you. I suggest taking it with you.

When you get off the ship at a port, do you take your driver's license, passport, etc. or just your SeaPass card?

I take a photo copy of my pp with me off the ship. As posted, if there were to be an emergency, I would prefer having documentation of a pp with me.

Thanks so much everyone! It's been three years since our last cruise and I could not remember what identification we took off the ship. I am so grateful for all the CC members who take the time to answer the many questions that are posted here. I vow to do the same, if I have any knowledge that can help.

Thanks again!

Last year in Grand Cayman, I was asked for ID before getting on a tender back to ship. I had a photocopy of my PP and that was acceptable.

This year I had a color copy made of my PP, reduced to wallet size and laminated. All for less than $2 at my local office supply store. A great idea I got from the boards here. It is also good to have copy just in case.

We've never been asked for anything but our sea passes by port security, at any port. And, aside from a cc and some cash, it's all we take off the ship.

So far you have been fortunate. However in Halifax, Nova Scotia, the Canadian port authorities asked for a picture ID in addition to our SeaPass card, and it has happened elsewhere. There is usually a notice in the Cruise Compass when a picture ID will be required to gain reentry to the pier. Pay attention to the port information and you should be fine. My drivers license is in my wallet, so it is really no problem to keep it with me.

I always take the original passport, 1 credit card with enough available credit for plane tickets home, and some cash when I go into port. Should you miss the ship for whatever reason, a photocopy of your passport won't get you home. It will just make it easier for the US Embassy to reissue your passport.

Archived