First Time Traveling with COPD

thegoodone

My husband was diagnosed with COPD a few months ago and this is our first time traveling/cruise since his diagnoses.

He uses a portable oxygen concentrater for when he is walking around and doing things - does not need when sleeping or sitting and relaxing.  We are having problems finding a portable one that has a batter life longer than 2 hours without having to carry 4 spare batteries when we are in port - that will get kind of heavy but will gladly do so if that's our only option.  (he is a continuous flow with a setting of 2)  We also decided to rent a scooter for when we are in port and not planning on doing an excursion.

Would appreciate any advice for us and also any places for rentals of the POC and Scooters

Thank You

Does your husband medically Require constant, or is it a preference?   The reason I ask, is that there are so many options available for pulse users.  My DH has severe lung disease, and uses pulse, although he is using pulse level 4, it is still pulse.   We own our units, and have all double batteries which can last up to 8 hours on pulse dosage 2. 

You can rent at Special needs at sea ( https://www.specialneedsatsea.com/reserve-equipment/oxygen-rental/   I believe for constant they have a Repironics unit, and a  Sequal unit, and both also have a very short battery life also.  

You will need a Dr’s prescription to rent a unit.   

They also rent other medical equipment.  We have used them in the past, and have a very good reputation.   They deliver scooters directly to most cruise lines (and are one of the few that the cruise lines allow delivery from for scooters).  I would ask your husbands pulmonologist to recommend appropriate oxygen therapy.   If I can be of any assistance, please ask.   

12 hours ago, Cruseforme said:

Does your husband medically Require constant, or is it a preference?   The reason I ask, is that there are so many options available for pulse users.  My DH has severe lung disease, and uses pulse, although he is using pulse level 4, it is still pulse.   We own our units, and have all double batteries which can last up to 8 hours on pulse dosage 2. 

You can rent at Special needs at sea ( https://www.specialneedsatsea.com/reserve-equipment/oxygen-rental/   I believe for constant they have a Repironics unit, and a  Sequal unit, and both also have a very short battery life also.  

You will need a Dr’s prescription to rent a unit.   

They also rent other medical equipment.  We have used them in the past, and have a very good reputation.   They deliver scooters directly to most cruise lines (and are one of the few that the cruise lines allow delivery from for scooters).  I would ask your husbands pulmonologist to recommend appropriate oxygen therapy.   If I can be of any assistance, please ask.   

He was recently switched from Pulse Setting 4 to the continuouse flow. It's kind of frustrating not being able to find anything that will last longer than 1-1/2 - 2 hours per charge on battery - specially when they weigh so much - we'd have to care a total of at least 4 between us - he likes to carry his unit and doesn't want a rolling one.  He is still very active and walks a lot

Thanks for the referral

Inogen g3 or G5.  Double batteries (extended life).   He’ll get 3ish hours per battery.  Best you’ll do at pulse 4.  Unit+battery weighs 11-12 lbs.  My husband uses the backpack for walking.   We carry 2 extended life batteries per unit on trips.   (Plus chargers, etc), but at least he’s mobile!!!!    

Pulse will make it much easier to find a rental that will work for you.  I'm on a lower flow rate so my batteries last longer, but I'll pass on a tip that often helps.  Anytime we are stopped for lunch or a coffee I ask to plug in so that I can save battery power.  Also several tour buses I've been on have a 12volt plug in available.  (You'd need to check this ahead of time and bring a 12 volt charger, which with some models is almost as heavy as an additional battery, though.)  If we're moving around the ship, my DH takes each of my batteries back to the cabin for recharging as soon as they have run out of juice and brings back to me the one that he set to charging previously.  COPD does make traveling more challenging, but it's doable and great fun!  Good for you for not letting it stop you!

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, OCruisers said:

Is permission from the cruise line needed to bring your own Inogen unit & extra batteries?

Permission, no...awareness, yes.   You need to inform them that you are bringing any oxygen concentrator (whether POC or full size) onboard.   This is for safety reasons, in case of any emergency, they are aware there is an oxygen patient in xxx cabin or suite.   Please call the cruise line special needs number (or have your TA inform them) to make them aware of this.   

We called Royal in advance and they transferred us to special needs.  Explained to them that my husband was recently diagnosed with COPD and that we had an Imogen and 2 batteries that we were bringing with us and also that we were going to rent a scooter and wanted to make sure there was room in our Cabin - there were very helpful - gave us a couple names to call for the scooter rental.  When we checked into our cabin - the scooter was already inside - plenty of room and our cabin steward came by, and said to contact him if we needed anything special for his POC.  

Royal made it so easy for us.  This was our first time traveling since my husband's diagnosis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, thegoodone said:

We called Royal in advance and they transferred us to special needs.  Explained to them that my husband was recently diagnosed with COPD and that we had an Imogen and 2 batteries that we were bringing with us and also that we were going to rent a scooter and wanted to make sure there was room in our Cabin - there were very helpful - gave us a couple names to call for the scooter rental.  When we checked into our cabin - the scooter was already inside - plenty of room and our cabin steward came by, and said to contact him if we needed anything special for his POC.  

Royal made it so easy for us.  This was our first time traveling since my husband's diagnosis

1 hour ago, Cruseforme said:

I am so glad it all worked out!   We have been traveling for 9 years with our Inogen(s), and it is a new lease on life for my DH.   Enjoy your freedom!   

Thank you both so very much.

This will be the first time for me with the Inogen.  Actually, planning to take 2 Inogens (one 4.8 lb and a smaller 2.6 lb plus batteries).  I'll wear one and my husband with take care of the other and the extra batteries.   I use a 2 setting.  

I'll call Special Needs ... but info from those of you who have actually taken an Inogen with you on a cruise is extremely helpful in knowing what to expect.  

LuLu