Q re airfare to different depature/dest ports ...

TrinaLC

Starting to look at Alaska cruises for 2007. I noticed many options involve sailing out of a different port than the debarkation port.

How do folks handle airfare on these? Two one way tix would be prohibitive, is there some alternative? Are you reduced to booking with the cruiseline, something which I've always avoided?

Starting to look at Alaska cruises for 2007. I noticed many options involve sailing out of a different port than the debarkation port.

How do folks handle airfare on these? Two one way tix would be prohibitive, is there some alternative? Are you reduced to booking with the cruiseline, something which I've always avoided?

Cruiseline may be the most cost effective. The two times I did it I used FF miles. No difference in the points with two differnt cities. I like to save those miles for situations like this instead of cashing in on a fare I could book for $300.

Cruiseline may be the most cost effective. The two times I did it I used FF miles. No difference in the points with two differnt cities. I like to save those miles for situations like this instead of cashing in on a fare I could book for $300.

good point re miles, i do have a fair amout - would it "price out" like a RT then?

You must use the Multi city option for "open jaw" tickets, although a lot of them are not "open jaw" in the true sense of the word. But for this forum, let's refer to them as open jaw, OK. Into one city, out of another. I book these very frequently on AA.com. Very easy to do. Sometimes it is also cheaper to buy a RT Seattle to wherever ticket and then one way into or out of ANC to Seattle. If you purchase the one way ticket early enough, Alaska Airlines has some pretty good prices.

As to FF tickets to Alaska. Availability depends on how many tickets you need. Peak season-6 tickets together-not likely. Peak season-2 tickets-better book at the first available window, usually 330 days pre departure.

I needed three tickets for June 10-17 this year (no cruise-we're taking my FIL king salmon fishing). I am a top tier elite with AA. I started looking for "saver" tickets in late August. (the least amount of FF miles). Finally gave up, as I was NOT about to spend 50,000 miles per ticket (figure about $.02 per mile-$1000.00 per ticket).

Bought 3 tickets, ORD/ANC RT, for less than $1000 total. Now I will use all the "stickers" (upgrades) my DH has acquired this year to upgrade all of us to first. Not bad-$1000.00 + roughly $750.00 in sticker value for 3 RT first class tickets to Alaska in June. Pays to figure out the value of those FF miles.

Air is only avaulable 300 days before flying so you may have to wait a while to get any info on this one.

Archived