mx food

lardor

Can anyone recommend a food type mercando in either Cabo or Ensenada that has a good fonda with hand made tortillas and other local stuff that does not cater to Gringos and Gringas....I need to sit on a bench and eat with the locals as I do in Zihuatanejo

32 minutes ago, lardor said:

Can anyone recommend a food type mercando in either Cabo or Ensenada that has a good fonda with hand made tortillas and other local stuff that does not cater to Gringos and Gringas....I need to sit on a bench and eat with the locals as I do in Zihuatanejo

and I should also add PV and Huatulco, I'll get there in 2020

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Roatanfans said:

Ensenada is all about fish tacos- there is a famous taco cart La Guerrerense (they now have a restaurant Sabina) really good and not the typical "Senior Frogs" experience

thank U, if I can't find a Mercado, I will look 4 them.......

The following restaurants in Ensenada we were either the only non locals, or maybe one other table of tourists. El Parian on Castillo & 4th has food that you would expect at a Mexican restaurant. On Castillo & 3rd, there is a good bakery. We also like to go to Birrieria Guadalajara on Macheros between Lopez Mateos and 2nd. It is known for their stews and plancha. The other restaurant we like is Potrero Viejo on 2nd and Riveroll for gorditas and pozole.

Most of the little food trucks / food carts around town in Ensenada are delicious. We love eating at them. Fresh seafood, fish tacos, and more. They move around a lot, but my tips are to look for ones that have a huge crowd of locals. That's how you know the food is fresh and delicious. Avoid the more touristy areas or you'll get overpriced, mediocre, Americanized Mexican food. Stick to the little stands around town.

15 minutes ago, moviegal said:

Most of the little food trucks / food carts around town in Ensenada are delicious. We love eating at them. Fresh seafood, fish tacos, and more. They move around a lot, but my tips are to look for ones that have a huge crowd of locals. That's how you know the food is fresh and delicious. Avoid the more touristy areas or you'll get overpriced, mediocre, Americanized Mexican food. Stick to the little stands around town.

Thanks Moviegal and Rosefloater, I will look 4 these, it appears that no one knows about  fondas in the local Mercado...

11 hours ago, lardor said:

Thanks Moviegal and Rosefloater, I will look 4 these, it appears that no one knows about  fondas in the local Mercado...

I have never seen any mercado in the tourist area in Ensenada. Same in Cabo. 

I love going to the restaurants that are in mercados. We've gone to the ones in Mazatlan by the Cathedral, in La Paz (where everyone stopped what they were doing and looked at us) and have gone to two different mercados in Puerto Vallarta.

If you are adventurous, you could try Trailero Ensenada, which is a truck stop on the way North out of town (in El Sauzal). You would need a car/cab/Lyft to get there and back, but it decidedly one of the best around for Ensenada Fish Tacos, Al Pastor and more. We've been a couple of times and no food issues either time.