Docked in Virgin Gorda; Looking for Private Guide/Driver for the Day

ace1zoe2

We will be visiting Virgin Gorda via cruise ship in January 2020. It will be a group of 6-8 women in our 50's & 60's. We will be docking (or maybe tendering?) in VG. We are set to arrive at 8am so we'll be off the ship around 8:30am. We do not leave port until 7pm so all aboard will be 6:30.

We prefer to do private excursions because we dislike being in a large ship tour where you are herded around, always waiting on the late comers and your time at each stop is directed by others.

I'm looking for a recommendation of a private tour guide or driver that has a good reputation to pick us up at the cruise port and take us to the Baths. We'd like to spend some time there before the crowds arrive then continue on to Gorda NP to hike the short trail to the lookout for pictures and then on to Savannah Bay Beach and possibly Spring Bay Beach for some snorkeling and beach time. We'd probably do lunch somewhere along the way. Or if it's advisable to go in a different order and do the Baths later in the day after the ship crowds we'd be up for that too.

I'm not sure of the order of sites as I didn't look at the map before posting. But all that can be sorted with the driver ahead of time.

If anyone has a contact or a website they could post I would appreciate it. Most everything I see on the things to do involves trips from other islands coming to VG. I will already be in VG.

Thanks for your help!

Cindy

I don’t personally know any drivers on VG so no help, sorry.  I can tell you taxi drivers will work with you by dropping you at Savannah Bay and return to drop you at Spring Bay, while waiting for the crowds to thin out at the Baths, for example. The rates are cheap within the Valley area (~$5pp each trip), but if you are anchored off the North Sound it would be more expensive.

I’d suggest also posing this question in the Virgin Gorda forum on TripAdvisor as experts there may have a name for you.

As I mentioned in the VG forum thread, be sure to reference the cruise schedule for Tortola as well, if even one ship is in port that will mean many others will be coming to the Baths.

Whether you use a taxi driver, or a guide from Mahogany rentals or elsewhere, the driver should know the schedules and can help you avoid the biggest crowds. Savannah and Spring Bays are great spots to relax while “waiting”, but no amenities so you may want to grab a lunch. Hog’s Heaven is also a great spot for a bite and the view.

Our favorite spot on VG for lunch and spectacular panoramic views was the Mineshaft. It had closed after Irma, but ask your driver if anything has opened there.

Enjoy your visit!