UK cruisers - beware sales - exchange rates

anniedave

9 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I agree, once you start using it, the OBC is locked in at the exchange rate on the date of the first purchase. In our case, the receipt  clearly shows the balance in CAD, not in USD to be converted at a different rate at a future time.

Screen Shot 2019-08-24 at 9.21.30 AM.png

Your remaining credit balance when boarding will be converted back to USD at the "same" locked in rate in reverse. Using your example above the $38.41 CAD would convert back to $29.05 USD (0.7564).

Thanks for everyone's comments.  I think the problem is I originally paid for the excursion on my credit card in £  (at whatever the exchange rate was - I thought it roughly £  - $ but I must of been mistaken as everyone has said that wasnt the exchange rate last year ) and then when I cancelled the excursion online,without me realising  I wasnt given the option of a credit card refund, I was just given it as OBC . Then when I rebooked it a few minutes later the onboard credit didnt cover the cost of rebooking. Im guessing either the onboard credit exchange rate was lower than the exchange rate when I originally paid on my credit card or the exchange rate has changed since. Either way it doesnt matter. As I said it only cost me an extra £3.60 so I'm not going to worry about it. I just wanted to make other UK cruisers aware to check deals if they are cancelling and  rebooking something in a sale as the exchange rate for us isn't as good as it was just a few months ago . Thanks 

4 hours ago, anniedave said:

Thanks for everyone's comments.  I think the problem is I originally paid for the excursion on my credit card in £  (at whatever the exchange rate was - I thought it roughly £  - $ but I must of been mistaken as everyone has said that wasnt the exchange rate last year ) and then when I cancelled the excursion online,without me realising  I wasnt given the option of a credit card refund, I was just given it as OBC . Then when I rebooked it a few minutes later the onboard credit didnt cover the cost of rebooking. Im guessing either the onboard credit exchange rate was lower than the exchange rate when I originally paid on my credit card or the exchange rate has changed since. Either way it doesnt matter. As I said it only cost me an extra £3.60 so I'm not going to worry about it. I just wanted to make other UK cruisers aware to check deals if they are cancelling and  rebooking something in a sale as the exchange rate for us isn't as good as it was just a few months ago . Thanks 

It Looks like you have been given a poor exchange rate for the OBC they give you. If you would have requested the refund to your Credit Card it would have been in £ so you would have got the full purchase price in £ back.

if you booked through the UK site, then all your purchases are in £, so there is no exchange rate to worry about.