Kotor rental cars ????

Have you tried Sixt?  I seem to recall seeing their sign.  We rented a few times from Sixt in Dubrovnic.  They were very good and the rates competitve.  The cars were late model and in good condition on both occasions.

We had two trips from Dubrovnic.   You could go the opposite way.  The first south to Kotor. Stopped at Perast, had a wonderful breakfast on a restaurant pier over the sea.  Then took the little boat over to the island to visit the church and museum.   Continued on to Kotor.  There were two ways to drive the route into Kotor.  As I recall, one involved a short car ferry.

We drove to Mostar one day.  That was OK but we would not do it again.  Not a particularly interesting drive.  

Edited by iancal

• 2 weeks later...

We are still hoping to find folks who have actually rented a car at Kotor.  A look on the Internet has found that a company called "Green Motion" will deliver cars to the port area and handle the paperwork at that location.  Their rates and policies do seem normal/reasonable.  Has anyone used this company?

As to Sixt  (mentioned above) they do show a location at the bus station but their system will not accept a rental for that date (or any other date).  This is not surprising, given our previous experience with Sixt, in that they can be hit/miss at some locations...or the location may not actually exist :(.  The last time I returned a Sixt car was at one of their hotel offices in Rotterdam.  We had to wait nearly 1 1/2 hours to return that car because the young lady who staffed the office was out to a long lunch.

Hank

• 3 months later...

Thought I would post a follow-up.  Being somewhat adventurous (and having been to Kotor a few times) we did arrange to rent a car through Green Motion.  They deliver your car to the port and also pick up at the port so, in theory, it is not a problem getting a car.  But we had to look around for about 20 minutes until we finally found our Green Motion rep.  He quickly walked us to our car (in the parking lot at the port), handed us the keys, finished the paperwork, and then we were on our own.  They did not provide a map so I had to depend on my phone which worked sometimes :).   But we did have a delightful day, drove quite a few miles in the region and stopped for a nice long lunch in Budva.   I am not going to recommend that most folks rent a car as the road signs leave much to be desired  But for us, it was a pretty good experience, we got to see a lot of the surrounding region, and the cost of our car was only about $50.   When we picked up our car we arranged a drop time with the agent.  We returned to the port near our agreed time and the agent showed-up right on time, took our keys and drove off with the car :).  Quite convenient.

As always we caution folks that most rental cars in Europe have standard transmission (stick shift).  While you can reserve automatics, there is always a chance that agencies will not honor that request and you will only be offered a stick shift.  In fact, on our last trip we saw some angry folks in Tenerife when a major agency did not have any of the promised automatics.  Several couples walked away without a car since they had no clue how to drive a stick.

Hank

• Like 1