Help me trace my steps: DR cruise stop in 2001

KmomChicago

Hi, I need help!! a I cruised to the Dominican Republic in October, 2001.  This was on Celebrity Millennium, and we also visited St. Thomas and San Juan on that itinerary.

I am trying to figure out exactly where in DR we would have dropped anchor.  It was essentially a private beach day but there were a few shore excursions available. I was traveling with my mom, and one of the excursions was a "cultural" bus tour to a big city, which I wanted to do, though she pointed out I was likely to get carsick on the 2-hour drive each way. Not to mention that this long commute ate up more than half the visit, so I skipped it.

I'm not sure which city the bus visited, but what little memory I have makes me think it was the capital, Santo Domingo.  However I can see the country is not huge so 2 hours from that could still be almost anywhere. I've always had some regret that I didn't take the excursion anyway.  It was not on my bucket list or anything, but it was a foreign country, and I was there, so why not look around?

I feel pretty confident that it was a tender port and I feel the country was sort just of at the beginning of a renaissance in its tourism industry after being avoided for years due to political and economic problems. 

Can anyone tell me where this would have been?