Pros or Cons for Dec. sailing?

redheadx3

I would like some input on cruising in Dec. just before Christmas to the Caribbean/Cozumel. We have only traveled in the early fall/late summer. How is the weather? Is the water still pretty warm to swim? I know hurricane season should be over by that time but what about strong cold fronts? How so they affect the ocean?:rolleyes:

We sailed the beginning of December to Cozumel. The weather once we got to Cozumel was perfect. The weather leaving Galveston and coming back was cold.

Same experience for me week before Christmas out of Galveston. We left Galveston to freezing temperatures, 1st sea day was cold, windy and rough. Got to Cozumel, it was in the 80s but it poured rain most of the time. Progreso we finally got sun it was in the high 70s. On the way back to Galveston it was warm but not hot. When we debarked in Galveston it was 70 degrees.

I would like some input on cruising in Dec. just before Christmas to the Caribbean/Cozumel. We have only traveled in the early fall/late summer. How is the weather? Is the water still pretty warm to swim? I know hurricane season should be over by that time but what about strong cold fronts? How so they affect the ocean?:rolleyes:

I was there in early December of 2004 and just recently returned on January 16th 2006. The average high temp is around 80 degrees so it is usually nice. We did sail through a cold front and had 14 foot waves on the way back to Galveston but it wasn't bad at all. To check Cozumel's average temp's go to http://www.cometocozumel.com happy sailing

We have done a xmas week cruise every year for the last 6 years. SOmetimes it is not real hot in the Caribbean or Mexico. Like 80 degrees or so. We don't go in the pools or swimming at the beach as much on a xmas cruise as we do on a spring break or summer cruise. It is just cooler. The air temp is cooler and when you are at sea it is much windier and it seems cooler. The water temps are cooler too this time of year.

I've cruised mid-December twice. The only downsides I can think of are:

- Planning what to wear on the day of the cruise, if you are leaving from a cold climate. Wake up and go to the airport at freezing temperatures, and land in Miami where it is 80 degrees. :)

- The days are short, so it gets dark early. It can be easy to miss the sunset, if you are busy dressing for dinner, or just back from port.

I've never experienced the cold that others above have. The weather has always been gorgeous. Both of my cruises left from Miami.

Tracy

Granted 60 in Florida would seem warm to some coming from winter snow and ice. But it still felt cold to us. And we didn't bring alot of warm coats as we thought we were going to warm sunny Florida. Both xmases the Floridians said that it was unseasonably cold for them too. So who can guess the weather anyway.

We loved our Grandeur cruise out of New Orleans just before Christmas in 2004. We had so much fun that we started the Cruise Critic Group Cruise aboard the Enchantment for 12/18/06. I can't wait to go back to Cozumel, and I hope for a speedy recovery there. The weather was perfect when we went and the snorkeling was awesome!

Misty

We sailed the Mariner the week before Christmas and while I enjoyed the ship I just don't think I'll cruise again in Dec. We love to go to the beach on our cruises and the weather in Dec. is just too iffy. We had a cool rain in Cozumel and high seas and wind back to Port Canaveral. On the last sea day it was too windy and cool to go on deck. We were very disappointed and wish that the pools were heated for winter cruising as they were on the Serenade to Alaska.

What about early December, like December 10th? How is the weather in Miami and leaving Miami? I checked temperatures for Cozumel and it seems to be warm in early December. I know Jamaica, Cayman Islands and Labadee will be warm as I also live the Caribbean and December is still pretty warm, though the water temperature might be slightly cooler than average.

What about early December, like December 10th? How is the weather in Miami and leaving Miami?

We were on the Radiance this past December, exact same week (Dec 11th). We flew out of Dulles at 6am where it was about 30 degrees, and when we landed in Miami it had to be 75-80, and it was still pretty early in the morning.

The only port where I went in the water was Labadee. It was really hot that day, and the water felt cold when you first got in. It was perfect if you ask me! Then again, I hate being hot and trying to "cool off" in warm water. LOL

If anything, I kept wishing the water in the ship's pools was cooler. Even during the night, I never felt cool or needed so much as a sweater. Weather is indeed variable, but like I said, I've never experienced being cold on a December cruise, personally.

Tracy

I have been on four December cruises. The first three were fine and the weather was warm even in Florida. The fourth cruise, however, was different. The weather was very cool in Florida both at the beginning and at the end of the cruise. We experience high winds for a couple more days during the cruise which made it too cool to enjoy the pools. The other thing that I don't like about December cruises is that there's not much daylight. The potential for cold weather and the shorter days are the two negatives I see.

We went on Legend in December. The biggest con to me was getting back and only having one week until Christmas. We sent out our cards very early and did not get our tree until very late. The weather was warm but not sunny every day. However, I think we swam pretty much every day in the pool. Also, the price was phenomenal.

I would cruise again in December any time.

I have cruised twice at the begining of Dec, both times to the Bahamas. The 1st time it was windy & cold in Nassau, the 2nd time I nearly roasted in the mid 80's. The weather that time of year is just so unpredictable. But as other's have said, the prices are usually really good & the ships look beautiful with the Christmas Decorations!

Personally for me the biggest negative was feeling "rushed" to get ready for Christmas after I got home. Guess if I were better organized it might help!;)

Edit: The title was supposed to say EASTERN. Sorry! We did the eastern cruise on the Voyager this past December 10th through 17th. It was high 70s or low 80s when we left Miami and was smooth sailing and warm temps from there on out. It was never cold at any time that we were on deck. It was quite warm but comfortable in Nassau, St. Thomas and Labadee. In San Juan it was downright HOT -- 94 degrees. The only time I needed a sweater was at the evening shows in the LaScala theater.

We have booked again for December 2006, western this time, and I am crossing my fingers for identically warm weather.

Archived