Best way from Galveston cruise port to Enterprise car rental?

lab_love123

Hi all! I am debarking a cruise in Galveston on a Thursday in November. Since my flight home from IAH is later in the afternoon, I've rented a car from Enterprise so that I can explore the area a bit. I'm doing self-assist disembark. Anyway, my question is, which is my best option for getting to the Enterprise location in Galveston? An Uber/Lyft looks to cost around $7-10. How about regular taxi cost? Enterprise apparently offers a shuttle that runs every 45-minutes... I wonder how efficient this is? 

Any recent experiences with these options? Thanks!!!

If you do not have much luggage, I would suggest crossing the street from the actual cruise terminal to request either Uber or Lyft. The drivers have often told me that pick-ups are easier for them if they do not have to get in the congested vehicle queue directly in front of the terminal. Depending on the weather forecast the day of disembarkation, I would recommend giving yourself an absolute minimum of 3 hours for travel from Galveston-IAH, the rent car return, and shuttle from rental return to the terminal. Longer if you need to check luggage at IAH and if the weather is bad or there is an accident on the freeway.

Download the Houston TranStar app on your phone for real-time traffic conditions.

https://traffic.houstontranstar.org/layers/

Rob

Edited by ryndam

Thanks! I’ll just have one suitcase so I can manage crossing a street. I just don’t want to waste too much time trying to find my way out of the port area. I’ve never been to Galveston before and am very unfamiliar with the area. 

I’m not too worried about traffic. I have a lot of time, and I always err on the side of caution time wise. I’ll play all that stuff by ear the day of. I don’t think I’m staying on Galveston for the day. Was thinking about the Space Center and just kind of meandering my way up to Houston.

57 minutes ago, lab_love123 said:

Thanks! I’ll just have one suitcase so I can manage crossing a street. I just don’t want to waste too much time trying to find my way out of the port area. I’ve never been to Galveston before and am very unfamiliar with the area. 

It's really a very pedestrian-friendly terminal. You will get a very good idea of logistics when you embark. This website shows the map of the terminals.

http://www.portofgalveston.com/DocumentCenter/View/22/Terminal-Map?bidId=

This map shows the distance from the cruise terminals to the Enterprise location.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Port+Of+Galveston,+123+Rosenberg+Ave,+25th+St+8th+Floor,+Galveston,+TX+77550/enterprise+galveston+car+rental/@29.2979671,-94.833619,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x863f9e6cef72a4ab:0xcddd1fa799dd39d8!2m2!1d-94.7970765!2d29.3065514!1m5!1m1!1s0x863f9db438c8a871:0xaf8fad8484bddd6a!2m2!1d-94.8350507!2d29.2881934

• 1 month later...