Bid for Upgrade OR wait for possible price drop?

blueslily

Hello all,

We are traveling on the Epic in October. My mom will have a cabin to herself. We booked a Sail Away rate when there was a single supplement deal. She was assigned cabin 14002, all the way forward, hull (enclosed) balcony. There are pros and cons to this location. My mom has only been on one cruise ever and says she isn't "fussy" about the cabin, but I of course want her to have a good cabin. Since she will be in the cabin solo, price does matter. I have been checking for price drops since we are getting close to the 30-day departure mark. I will keep looking to see if there are any price drops, especially for a single supplement. But I am also considering submitting a bid to upgrade her to a mini suite. The minimum bid is $50 per person. Although she will be in the room alone, we still have to double the $50 so the bid will be for a total of $100. Thats the lowest bid and all I am willing to bid really so I get it that my upgrade bid wont knock their socks off, lol.  Right now the inventory for the sailing is showing that everything is sold out except inside and balconies.

What do you all think? I am not sure how long the option to bid is usually offered? Is there a set cutoff usually? We have had the option for the last two weeks. When do they usually stop accepting upgrade bids? I know that I can cancel a bid if it has not been accepted yet. I will certainly do that if there happens to be a good price drop for a single supplement. I will just call NCL and do the direct upgrade.  Decisions, decisions, hahaha.

Thanks

Edited by blueslily

I would submit the minimum bid and still monitor rates. In the event the rates drops, upgrade the cabin and cancel your bid. 

My past three cruises, the cabin prices dropped lower than what I was paying if I was upgrading so it’s beneficial to keep your eye on the price regardless of your decision.  

You're we'll past final payment, bidding is your only option imo.

if the price drops, you may be able to get an OBC, but insofar as upgrading your room by rebooking the lower rates, I'm afraid.that ship has sailed.

Once you've made final payment, that's it. You're locked in for your cabin and price, unless you go through the upgrade advantage program. 

If you can and they're available, I'd bid on a spa m/s over the standard m/s. Or throw a few bids out there. 

Thats my advice. I've heard stories of people upgrading their cabins after final payment by calling their PCC/ta and paying the difference but not sure if that's policy or luck of the draw. 

Edited by JamesIowa

19 minutes ago, JamesIowa said:

if the price drops, you may be able to get an OBC, but insofar as upgrading your room by rebooking the lower rates, I'm afraid.that ship has sailed.

Once you've made final payment, that's it. You're locked in for your cabin and price, unless you go through the upgrade advantage program. 

If you can and they're available, I'd bid on a spa m/s over the standard m/s. Or throw a few bids out there. 

Thats my advice. I've heard stories of people upgrading their cabins after final payment by calling their PCC/ta and paying the difference but not sure if that's policy or luck of the draw. 

HOW does someone "throw a few bids out there"?  I would love to do two but only able to place ONE bid!

1 hour ago, JamesIowa said:

Thanks. I was able to upgrade and changec my cabin by paying the difference after final payment so I am hoping to do that for my mother's cabin as well if the price drops into the correct range. Will call my PCC for assistance if I see the right price. He already told me what to look for. Thanks

2 hours ago, Seany527 said:

I would submit the minimum bid and still monitor rates. In the event the rates drops, upgrade the cabin and cancel your bid. 

My past three cruises, the cabin prices dropped lower than what I was paying if I was upgrading so it’s beneficial to keep your eye on the price regardless of your decision.  

Thanks so much. Thats what I think I will do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blueslily said:

Yes, you can offer a bid for multiple cabin types. 

I have a bid in for the lower balcony category, but for two weeks now every time I try to place a bid for the mini suite category I get the message 'try back in 24 hours' so thought perhaps I could not place two bids.  Very frustrating at this point for our November sailing as really want to bid on the higher category

Edited by lambs2

5 minutes ago, lambs2 said:

I have a bid in for the lower balcony category, but for two weeks now every time I try to place a bid for the mini suite category I get the message 'try back in 24 hours' so thought perhaps I was could not place two bids.  VERY frustrating at this point for our November sailing as really want to bid on the higher category

Sounds to me have just a simple computer problem or your trying to bid and the minimum may have went up and your email thread hasn't updated, suggest temporarily trying to bid aliittle higher and see if it accepts your request, you could always then go right back in and cancel if it's more $$ than you want to spend 

34 minutes ago, Nclgetawaymenhoney said:

Sounds to me have just a simple computer problem or your trying to bid and the minimum may have went up and your email thread hasn't updated, suggest temporarily trying to bid aliittle higher and see if it accepts your request, you could always then go right back in and cancel if it's more $$ than you want to spend 

It was already far into the good category, but I raised it even more per your suggestion and still same message.  Guess I could call my travel agent and see what they (or NCL) could do, but I know my TA is off this entire weekend.

From my experience, it can depend on the cabin.  I was able to upgrade from an inside sail-away to OV then balcony - all well after final payment.  I had put in a bid for a balcony but when the price for the balcony upgrade was lower than my bid, I called.  They originally offered me OBC and I said give me the upgrade and I got it after the person spoke to their supervisor, so it also depends on who you talk to.  But my travel companions, who had booked an inside sail-away cabin for 3 weren't able to upgrade at all.  Since there were no perks, there wasn't anything to lose.